a new spin on the 1" rule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I went by the lfs today, I told them I had too many fish already in my tanks and that I couldn't get anything else unless I traded something in. They indicated that my bottom dwellers should not count towards my inches-of-fish-per-gallon b/c they don't take up the swimming space and that, with adequate filtration mind you, only middle and upper level swimmers should be counted in the inches per gallon stocking level guideline. Now I'm a little over the 1" already with my tanks. I'm at 1.2 - 1.6 inches of fish per gallon now on my tanks. My fish don't seem crowded, everyone eats, no fights have been observed, and the fish seem healthy and happy, although I can't really tell what a "happy" fish looks like. They are colored-up nicely and they swim and interact well (males showing-off for females and all that).

Any opinions on this variation of the 1" guidline?

While I have never heard of that variation on the 1" per gallon rule, the thing to realize is that the "rule" isn't one of the ten commandments set in stone. It is a general guideline for those with normal filtration and limited experience or knowledge. If you have plenty of filtration (which you do), watch your nitrates and don't put incompatible species together then it is possible to exceed 1" per gallon without harm. It also helps if you do frequent water changes.

I agree. I just like to hear what others think of advice I've received. My fish are very compatible, I do a 30% PWC every 7-10 days, I check my water parameters using reagents kits, I don't overfeed, I rotate changing filter media in my multiple HOBs, and I vacuum the gravel every other PWC. I like schedules. I think you can tell when an aquarium becomes overcrowded by watching the fish. I watch mine as often as I get the chance during the day. When I started this hobby back in October of 2004, I really stocked my 29 gallon heavily. I must have had 26 fish, all reaching 2" or more in adult size, in there at one time. I could tell after a few days that things just didn't look right so I took some fish back. I have taken as many as 16 fish back at one time, from one 29 gallon tank. I think one can watch the fish in a tank, and check the water, use some common sense, and listen to people with experience to guide to to healthy fish keeping.

I've also come to understand that the only way to keep several species of fish is to contract MTS. My wife has cured me however.

I listen to lfs who all off them have kept fish for over 20 yrs cept for the kid who is like 14 ... I got extra filtration and made sure all wer compatible and so far everyone is happy:)

I have had people tell me that my tank is overstocked, but my water quality is good and i have lots of plants for them to hide and they are all happy and active. If i stuck to the one inch per gallon of water, i think my tank would look really empty.

You know, as you can see by my signature, my 50 gallon is supremely over stocked (not by much mind you ... but still a goodly number) and it is really interesting because i have the filteration that can handle it (that and my tank is SUPER mature)

So i mean there are lots of factors that go into water quality and "what is too many fish". I tend to think that it is all relative to all the factors that affect you and your tank.

I also go my how the fish seem to be acting rather than 1 inch per gal. During the planning stage I will base it around 1 inch per gal, but thats just a starting off point. I don't include Pleco's in the math because they really don't count towards swimming space, the same as ghost shrimp don't count. As long as you have adequate filtration, I wouldn't include bottom dwellers either.

I have been told somewhere that the 1" per gallon is just a basis to start building upon. Ok, we all seem to agree on that. But what this person also told me was that the 1" of fish should be per 9 square inches of surface area. This is for gas exchange. Where they came up with the 9 square inches, I don't know. But it makes sence to me. So if a tanks surface area is 12" x 24", a total surface area would be 288 square inches. 288" divided by 9" equals 32 inches of fish. The example of this given to me was if you take 1000 gallon tank with a surface area of 9", then you could only have 1" of fish for the gasses to exchange. Has anybody else ever heard this?

mentallylost said:
I have been told somewhere that the 1" per gallon is just a basis to start building upon. Ok, we all seem to agree on that. But what this person also told me was that the 1" of fish should be per 9 square inches of surface area. This is for gas exchange. Where they came up with the 9 square inches, I don't know. But it makes sence to me. So if a tanks surface area is 12" x 24", a total surface area would be 288 square inches. 288" divided by 9" equals 32 inches of fish. The example of this given to me was if you take 1000 gallon tank with a surface area of 9", then you could only have 1" of fish for the gasses to exchange. Has anybody else ever heard this?

Yeah, I've heard that before and it makes sense. Also, the amount of biomass that a tank can handle is also going to depend on the filtration and airation of the tank.

Thanks fish lovers! I'm sorry I dredged-up this topic again but I felt the new botton dweller spin was worthy of discussion. I'm about done stocking my tanks but that Queen Arabesque pleco thing renewed my interest.

HI Everyone,
The 1inch per gal rule that we had about 10 years ago was that was for thin little fish like Zebra Danios. Large bodied fish were counted 1in equal to 2 inches. Fish like the Three Spot Blue gourami counted 3 inch for each 1 inch in length. And we were told to not have to change water so often count 1 inch of small fish as 1 inch per 2 1/2 gal. It worked well for me. I had a fish only 29 gallon tank. But if your fish are happy and you do not mind water changes you can stretch the rules. I do not want to do much more than watch the fish. So I try to keep my tank with a low head count and I have too many now and have to change water twice each week and vacuum the gravel with each change. And the way the hob is slowing down it will only last about 3 weeks. But as soon as I get all the other tanks up and running again, I will spread the fish load out. I do not like to work unnecessarily perhaps if you removed the unnecessarily the sentence would be more accurate. :p I really want happy fish and very little work. Everyone has to make their own decision on how that works out. If you actually get too many, you will soon know it.

Ok, here is the deal. The inch/gallon "rule" is just a guildine to get people thinking about stocking limits and keep people in line. You would not believe the number of people that have posted on this forum with an honest 50+ inches of fish in a 10g tank because the LFS told them it was OK. To get started and for the first few months you own a tank, inch/gallon is good to do as it is a fairly safe limitation for almost all tropical fish under 3 inches. All tanks have different limits based on fish interaction, feedings, water changes, plant cover...

And whoever says bottom feeders do not count towards stocking limits is a fool. Bottom feeding like Plecos will often produce MORE waste in the tank than multiple other fish that swim around in the tank. If anything, messy bottom feeders should count for double inches because they can produce so much waste.

And whoever says bottom feeders do not count towards stocking limits is a fool.

Wow, that's a little harsh - what about cory cats? Otos? Loaches? They contribute more than 1" per to the waste? I think not. Plecos, maybe, as they like to poop, but a general statement like the above is inaccurate, I think.

Wow, that's a little harsh - what about cory cats? Otos? Loaches? They contribute more than 1" per to the waste? I think not. Plecos, maybe, as they like to poop, but a general statement like the above is inaccurate, I think.

For Cories and Loaches, most people would say the owner should be dropping in some type of sinking food/wafers on a regular basis. Take the weight of those wafers, and compare it to the weight of flake food. That should give you a good idea of the ammount of waster that will be leftover. It is quite possible that the two wafers someone drops in a tank to feed some Loaches or Cories end up creating the same ammount of waste as 3 or 4 days worth of flake food for the rest of the tank.

The fact is, even if someone skips out on food meant for bottom feeders (not reccomeneded), you still need to put extra food in the tank for those fish that live on the bottom, and this will inevitably create more waste.

A proprly fe Pleco is probably the dirtiest fish you can have in a tank, so I would definitely include that. As already mentioned, the water quality is what really determines the amount of fish a tank can hold. I once raised raised 269 angels in a 4' 30gal to quarter size bodies with no problems; it just meant 60% daily water changes.

My fish don't seem crowded, everyone eats, no fights have been observed, and the fish seem healthy and happy, although I can't really tell what a "happy" fish looks like.
If your fish smile and greet you every time you pass by, they are, indeed, very happy fish! :D

Back
Top Bottom