Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

About the Quarantine tank

Ok Im seeing more fish that Im definately interested in, mainly thanks to JDogg,Jchillin& bs6749.
Now comes a question. From what I have read about GBR and Bolivian Rams they are sensitive to medications. I would be planning to QT any new fish coming in. Would it just be better to keep them separate for about 6 weeks or would anyone out there add some pre- emptive meds to the QT tanks , And if so what would they be?

Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
I would just keep them separate for 6 weeks (which should be the minimum QT time for any fish). Why add meds for sensitive fish unless you do have an illness to deal with and clearly know what it is? Or are you talking about newcomers after the rams are established? I still don't think it's necessary. Indescriminate use of medication is not a good thing.

Honestly, I haven't used meds for a long time, even when I do have a sick fish. Clean water + heat + salt goes a long way for a lot of illnesses, and PWCs are your best defense to avoid even getting to that point.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Unless you are treating a rescued fish with a known disease, I would lay off medications. Mosaic, do you have a formula for heat and salt for treatment? I'm curious.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wait. I Have not up to now used meds for anything. But you know the story..read some outdated/bad info and start thinking maybe I'm not doing something right. The basic formula I use is 1 tsp of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons with a constant 80 temperature.( although I have in one case used 2 tsps of salt per every 5 gallons for some nasty sick Danios..it worked they are still alive and the wierd bloat dissapperaed)
I just wanted to be really sure I was going to be doing right by some future $$costly$$ fish.

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com