About to start. Couple Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So me and my fiance have looked into starting a small(for the moment) fish tank. We we're thinking the about getting this tank since space is limited in our apartment and we believe that size is good to start. We're going to be starting with Glofish since they look amazing and their pretty easy to take care of. Eventually we want to add some Guppies like the Blue and Lemon Cobra ones. Would the fish have any problems sharing the tank? I would want 3 Glofish and maybe 2 of the Lemon and Blue Guppies would this be cutting it too close in terms of overloading the tank? Also would any of these fish have a problem with having sand as a base. Any info is appreciated.

hi when starting a new tank you have to cycle it. if you dont know what cycling is than pleaase look it up.
Anyway... with glofish they are schooling fish so they need up to 5 fish

Are you going to do a fish in cycle or a fishless cycle? Fish in cycles take anywhere between 6-8 weeks and a risk at losing fish. Fishless cycles can be done quicker I have done 10 gals in 2 weeks and no risk to fish as it is a fishless cycle.

A good site on seeing how many fish you can get for your tank size is AqAdvisor.com

I can't see why you couldn't use sand in your tank. Just make sure you clean in very well before adding to the tank.

I personally think there isn't enough room for 3 glofish . They are active and need 20g minimum.. That shape of the tank also has an impact on what you can out in your tank. Instead of the glofish look into galaxy rasbora.

I'm doing fishless cycle. About to start it in a bit I'm not really worried about getting fish for a while so fishless cycle is the way to go. Website says with with 5 glofish and 1 guppy I would be at 84% capacity which is about as high as I would want it. Would I really have a problem with glofish in that tank? Thats want I want to be my main fish and don't want to dampen their ability to play around

Back
Top Bottom