Absolute beginner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jodie_jo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 64ltr tropical tank with 5 neon tetras and one oto. I am a little concerned about feeding and how much i should be giving them. The neons get very excited when i put flakes into the tank and eat them all up within 5 minutes, once they are all gone (the flakes) the neons have bloated stomachs - is this normal?

The oto doesnt seem to eat the flakes....

Also, i have a filter that blows the water out on the surface of the water, the little neons seem to be fighting a current sometimes and when the stop swimming they get carried along. I have put it onto the lowest setting - will they be ok?

Thanks for all your advice!

Their bellies getting bigger after eating is normal, but if you notice them getting too big you might want to cut back on the amount of food. IMO if it takes them 5 minutes to eat it all, it is more than they need. As for the oto, they like to eat things off the bottom such as algae wafers and shrimp pellets (and algae of course). Your neons will be just fine with the flow turned down some.

Yes, freshwater. I have just noticed one of my neons, shall we say - going to the toilet, it seems a shade of pink. Is this normal? I have searched the web to no avail!

The shade of pink, is it similar in color to the flake food? If so perfectly normal. Also feed algae wafers at night just after lights off for the oto. I agree the amount of food may be too much, they should eat it all up in a couple of minutes max.

Welcome to AA! Do you have a test kit yet? If not you should invest in one. Depending on the length of time your tank has been set up, it may still be cycling.

As already posted, I agree that you are probably overfeeding. If they can't eat it all in a minute or two, it is probably too much.

The flakes are multi coloured with some being a shade of pink so is probably that. Phew!! Because i am a novice i cant help but think that i am doing it wrong!

Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom