Absolute beginner.......Aghhhh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Worthincrew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of setting up a 12 gallon (imperial) tank for my eldest daughter as a birthday present. I assume that I will end up looking after the fish that I put in. If all goes well then I will get a much larger tank for myself. I have an all inclusive Juwel 60 aquarium.
I want to put in maybe 5 or 6 tetras of one variety or another (preferably more colourful) and some other fish but do not have any ideas as to how many the tank will comfortably hold or what will go with and look good with the Tetras.
Please help as I really want to make a go of this venture and my daughter will come on a personally say thankyou on her birthday.
Ta,
Steve :roll:

[center:b9c13dc185] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Worthincrew!! :n00b: [/center:b9c13dc185]
With a small peaceful tank, go for 1 inch of adult fish per inch. Aside from the more colorful tetras, such as Serpae, have you looked at white clouds (I think they are called white cloud minnows). Of the tetras, cardinals and silver tips are nice, as are black neons and regular neons. You may find that regular neons are not as hardy as the other fish. If the tetra or whatever you choose grows to be an 1"-1 1/2', put in a school of 5 to start with.
I would use cory cats on the bottom because they are so cute--3 three of them.
Others will have different suggestions.
Read up on the nitrogen cycle in the Articles section. Using the fishless cycling method is better than cycling with fish, but will take the fun out of presenting the tank to your daughter. If you know someone with an established tank--it's best to get some bacteria from their filter and add your daughter's fish right away.

I hope this makes sense--I must run (must get to a neuroscience conference :roll:).

*edit: Here's a link that discusses cycling with straight ammonia.

My wife recently added some white high fin tetras to our 55g. I liked them so much that I went back and added a third. The fish is fairly large for a tetra but with long 'fancy' fins that give it a dreamy appearance. Of course you can't go wrong with a long veiled angel either.... :twisted:

Hi Steve, :band: Welcome to Aquarium Advice
If you stick with the smaller size fish, Tetra's and Barbs etc.etc. you wont go far wrong. Good luck and enjoy your New Hobbie.

Back
Top Bottom