acclimatimg ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arachniac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just ordered 10th ghost shrimp and thought I read something about having to set up a drip system before you can put them on your tank, or can I just float them and add. Also, place I'm getting them from reccomends adding 1T. Aquarium salt. Per 10 gal of water b4 adding fish. What is the purpose of this? I've never done it with any of my other fish additions. Thanks in advance.

Hi! I don't know anything about Ghost Shrimp per se but I know a lot of stores (particularly the large chain stores) recommend salt for some reason but it isn't usually necessary in FW tanks unless you are treating for illness. The large chain stores use salt b/c they need to keep toxin levels and stress from hurting the fish (an employee at PetCo told me this) but you shouldn't need it.

Drip acclimating is a good method. All you'd need is some airline tubing. If you search drip acclimation on YouTube you'll see some how-to videos. Alternatively you can float the bag into the tank and every 15 minutes or so add a small amount of your tank water to the bag. Do this until the water volume in the bag doubles. Then take some water out of the bag and do it again. Then net the shrimp into the tank (don't let the bag water get into the tank).

Hope this helps. Enjoy your shrimp!

Back
Top Bottom