Acclimating New fish to New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digibob63

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just spent 4 hours with and open bag of Harlequin Rasbora adding a little of my tank water at a time until the pH matched. They looked fine not staying at the top. I finally put them in the tank one at a time and all four are now at the top and staying there. There is 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and 0ppm nitrate. I add dechlorinator when I did a 85% water change two days ago because of algae. The tank has been setup for four and a half weeks now. I also added dechlorinate this morning before adding the fish this afternoon. I also added 6 Amano Shrimp two of which died after being add sooner. I left the other 4 in the bag with the Rasbora. The shrimp seem content now.

So what am I doing wrong? The tank is an ADA 60p 17us gal. with co2 at one bubble per second. Inline heater set about 79 degrees/ 26 Celsius and a Eheim 2211 canister filter. Also has a Twinstar II M5 Algae Inhibitor. Not working too well BTW. Light is a Twinstar 600C on about 8 hours a day. It has live plants, driftwood and rocks. :fish1:

New fish will hide or stay in one spot for a while after being added. They should be fine by tomorrow. If not, then maybe it's something else.
You should be seeing some nitrates in your tank so maybe it is not 100% cycled.

Are you sure you need the co2 bubbler? Your tank isn't that big and if you're having algae growth maybe it's unnecessary or up too high? That might also be why the fish are up near the top, if the water doesn't have enough oxygen.

Are you sure you need the co2 bubbler? Your tank isn't that big and if you're having algae growth maybe it's unnecessary or up too high? That might also be why the fish are up near the top, if the water doesn't have enough oxygen.
I turned off the co2 yesterday and the Rasboras are now swimming all around. Not sure what my plants will do at this point. Thanks for advice all.

Back
Top Bottom