Added Bio Spira but now a cycle... what to do? HELP (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djlynch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After doing hours of reading, i still need help on what path to take...Heres the story:

I have had several aquariums (both reef and fresh) as well as maintaining tanks for around 3 yrs, and I have used Bio Spira to cycle 4 of the freshwater tanks with no problems whatsoever.

With that being said

I set up my newest tank (100g) roughly 2 wks ago. Bought Bio Spira from LFS on the same day as the gravel and lace rock. *Note* The Bio Spira was refrigerated when i purchased it but it did take roughly an hr to get hm. After i got home, I put the bio in the refrigerator and it took me roughly 3 hrs to set up the tank (gravel, aquascaping, etc. no fish). After i set everything up i put in the water, declorinator, and bio spira. The next day i went to the LFS and purchased fish (3 banded leporinus, 1 med jack dempsy, 1 yellow fin, 4 other small cichlids, and ~20 feeder fish. 2 days later i put in 2 marmortus catfish, 1 large (+14 in) and 1 medium (7 in).

For filtration I ordered a cascade 1500 for filtration, but while ive been waiting for shipment i was running 2 of my old emperor 400s, which after 3 or 4 days i realized one had a short in it and the other one just stopped working, and being that my new filter should be here tomorrow i decided to go filterless until it arrives.

About a wk ago the water started looking hazy and started to stink, but i just figured it was due to the lack of filter. Last night i decided to test the tank water and by the look of things (correct me if i am wrong) my tank is in a cycle.

(aquarium pharm test kit)
Ammonia NH3 was high (between 4.0/8.0)
NO2 = 2.0
PH = 7.0
Nitrate = <5

After 40% water change 4 hrs ago and added 2 powerheads:
NH3 = 4.0
NO2 = 0.50
PH = 7.6
Nitrate = <5

Now i am not sure what route to take to finish the cycle. So far, no fish have shown any signs of illness (except feeder fish/ 6 remaining), but i have noticed an increase in activity since the water change. At this point i know there are numerous reasons that the bio might have failed, but i still have faith in it since it has always worked before with no problems whatsoever. I really would like to use it to complete the cycle if possible.

If I can add a new batch of bio spira,

1. Would i need to do a water change? and if so, at what parameters would the tank need to be in order for it to be effective?

2. Should i wait until my filter arrives tomorrow to add it or add it today?

or

3. should i just wait the cycle out and just do daily water changes?

4. If i went this route, how long between water changes should i wait before doing another one (ie. daily or hourly)?

Any suggestions/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

When adding Bio Spira, it needs to be added with the fish, not a day or 2 before. Could be that a lot of it died off when there were no fish, therefore starving the bacteria. Also, Bio Spira doesn't always work in a day, sometimes a few days to a week. You could try another small packet, or just keep up with the PWC's for a few more days to be sure. Adding more might help some, couldn't hurt. But PWC's are important now since you have fish.

Should do a 30-50% PWC daily, but if your test shows low readings, could go out to every other day, but no longer. When I cycled with fish in my first tank, I did it daily, in the evening. My last tank, the 55G, I did fishless.

One more thing, when you install the filter, check your readings before adding the Bio Spira. If the ammonia is high, do a quick PWC, then add it.

Thanks for the advice. That is the route i am going to try. One more question - when i do the last pwc before i put in the new bio spira, what level of ammonia would be acceptable to have when adding it (or how much of a pwc)?

I would say at least a 30% PWC. As for amount of ammonia, just needs to be safe for the fish, the lower the better. The fish are always giving off ammonia for the bacteria in the Bio Spira to feed on. :)

**Update**

Yesterday, my filter came in (FINALLY). It has 5 baskets, so i set it up with Coarse, carbon, ceramic rings, and alot of floss, then did a ~60% water change and added a new batch of bio spira. (10pm)

Today my readings are:
Ammonia (NH3) = 2.0
Nitrite (NO2) = between 2.0 and 5.0 8O
Nitrate (NO3) = 10 ppm

Should i do a water change now or soon (and if so, how soon?) or should i wait it out... my 2 catfish are gasping for air and look pretty stressed.. i just don't want to remove the bacteria i just added 12 hrs ago.

Thank you everyone that has helped me out thus far!! Please keep it coming - these catfish are over a year old and are the main reason i set up this tank - i really don't want to lose them but i don't have another tank large enough to qt them in!!

Thanks rich. How long do i need to go between big water changes in this situation? i mean can i do them every couple of hours to get the levels less toxic or would that do more harm than good?

That is fine a couple of hours is all you need to wait. I am of the belief that you can never change to much water. Your fish will thank you.

rich311k said:
That is fine a couple of hours is all you need to wait. I am of the belief that you can never change to much water. Your fish will thank you.

I completely agree as well........

**update**

OK, i posted my last update around 4 hrs ago.. Since then, the first thing i did was a 50% water change and added stress coat to it. i also got my emperor 400 fixed and set up on the tank (impeller was jammed) and a friend at the lfs gave me 2 seeded bio wheels out of the display tank. Also after doing some reading about high nitrite levels, i added an extra air pump to the tank and it is hooked up to both of my powerheads (maxijet 1200s) to help with oxygen. I didn't feed the fish today to try to help lower ammonia levels.

As of right now, my levels are
NH3 = 0.5 (Lower)
NO2 = Between 2.0 and 5.0 (no change)
NO3 = Between 10 and 20 (slightly higher)

Tomorrow my friend is also giving me some of his filter floss out of his cascade 1500 (seeded) to put in mine to hopefully help with bio filteration. Hopefully on the right track to helping the cycle do its thing, i just hope that my catfish don't die in the process.

Is it water change time again? I know the NO2 is still too high, but would it drop that significantly with another water change (it hasn't so far at all)? Also, as i stated before, i have added a HUGE amount of oxygen to the tank with the air pump/powerhead combo. I have read that salt does help the fish but keep reading mixed reviews on its effects on catfish (one article says it is very effective for catfish and nitrite problems but from what i understand the majority of responses on AA regarding salt and catfish is a no go... I have some instant ocean salt mix on hand if it will help them but i do not know how much to add to the tank (if i even can).

I am completly open to suggestions and appreciate the advice given thus far.

Do another water change yes. And since you have seeded biowheels for the Emperor, you should start seeing some rapid changes for the better. And as for the floss, when you add it, it will improve things even more. Have you added Prime? It will also help by detoxifying Nitrite and Nitrate til the bio-filter gets kicked in gear.

Do not use salt. Change water again, stress coat works, but adds unneeded stuff to the water. Get prme as Wolf said.

Back
Top Bottom