Added new filter, ammonia spiked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiferjanis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank fully cycled with a HOB filter, but added a canister 2 days ago. Today the ammonia (which had been steady at 0) was 0.5

I did a 25% water change, which brought it to .25 and used a half-dose of ammonia safe tabs (it's all I had left). I'll continue with water changes until it's gone, but why the spike? Is adding an additional (new) filter like cycling the tank again? Is it killing/not enough bio filter? I didn't change the HOB filter pads, because I figured that bio would help establish the other filter. Should I get some of this bacteria stuff from the store and add some to the canister, or just be patient and let it establish?

I suppose the real answer is probably overfeeding in trying to find something my loach likes. I just can't tell if he's getting enough, because everyone else is such a glutton. Vacuuming doesn't yield left-over food, just poop. Also, I have black sand, rather than gravel, so would that affect the bacteria colonies?

Biology and chemistry never made inherent sense to me... But until now, I didn't need them much! ;-P

I think what may have happend is tjat your canister may have stired up you water. Moving more poop around causing the amonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom