Adding ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, so yesterday I set up my 20 gallon tank I have two other tanks set up but I've never added ammonia to either of them to get the cycle started but for this tank I want to do it right. I was wondering when I should start adding the ammonia. I'm only on the second day of adding the biological aquarium supplement should I wait until I'm done adding that or is it okay to start adding the ammonia today?

When i fishless cycled my tank i just added ammonia straight away, the only 'suppliment' i've used is dechlorinator. I have in the last couple of days had nitrates start to appear so i must be doing something right! :)

Setup the tank like you want it. Make sure and throw the heat up to about 85-86 , your bacteria you want grows better in the warm water. Then put your ammonia in , you want to be about 4ppm . You can do the ammonia right away.. I never use anything but prime and ammonia. Keep your ammonia at 4ppm .. And continue in with the cycle .. Good luck

Bacterial supplements are at best iffy. If you are going to use one I suggest seachem's stability. It's the only one I know from the expiry date is 4 years and the closer to the date the less bb is still alive in the bottle. You also have to take into account the handling of the bottles. There is just to many variables that can affect the quality and you may just be buying an expensive bottle of water.
All you have to do is dose the tank up to 4ppm of ammo and then not again until the ammo is at 1ppm. Once your ammo begins to drop start testing for nitrite and about a week or so after that should start testing for nitrate. But with adding bb you may see all of these sooner.

Bacterial supplements are at best iffy. If you are going to use one I suggest seachem's stability. It's the only one I know from the expiry date is 4 years and the closer to the date the less bb is still alive in the bottle. You also have to take into account the handling of the bottles. There is just to many variables that can affect the quality and you may just be buying an expensive bottle of water.
All you have to do is dose the tank up to 4ppm of ammo and then not again until the ammo is at 1ppm. Once your ammo begins to drop start testing for nitrite and about a week or so after that should start testing for nitrate. But with adding bb you may see all of these sooner.

What I'm adding is nutrifin cycle biological supplement and nutrifin Aqua plus tap water conditioner

I have used nutrafin cycle and I wasn't impressed. My levels went all kinds of weird. Ammo rising on it's own for about a week. It was a fishless cycle and while it went really fast, it was terribly unstable for months afterwards. You are going to have to watch and test a ton or you may start losing fish.

I have used nutrafin cycle and I wasn't impressed. My levels went all kinds of weird. Ammo rising on it's own for about a week. It was a fishless cycle and while it went really fast, it was terribly unstable for months afterwards. You are going to have to watch and test a ton or you may start losing fish.

Hm, I haven't noticed a problem with it yet. It's what my parents have been using for years but I'll keep an eye on my other tanks as well as this one and I'll definitely look into other brands

I have had only good results with Cycle - an excellent product.
However, if you add ammonia recommended by many for a fishless cycle (4ppm) you will hinder the development of the bacteria and at levels of 5ppm, you are wasting your time. You also need to know the optimum conditions for the development of the bacteria....

Optimum temp 77 - 86F
pH 7.0 - 8.0
Alkalinity (carbonate hardness) at least 50 - 100 mg/l
Dissolved oxygen at least 1 mg/l

Add some bacteria, but add less ammonia at a time. Many aquarists worry if ammonia reaches 0.5ppm, so start with ammonium chloride at 0.5ppm (calculate for 4ppm, then divide by 8) and your tank will cycle much more quickly.

December 19 I started added my ammonia I put half a teaspoon in and tested it was around 3ppm

December 20 tested ammonia again and was a bit under 3ppm so I added a couple more drops to get it up

December 21 I decided to test for nitrites just for the hell of it and nitrites are present at 1ppm

So I'm assuming something good is happening

I'm in the waiting game right now.. I seeded mine with a filter from my other tank .. Hopefully it will get things rolling..

That's what I did with my last tank. I took half my filters and half the water and put it in the new tank only took about a week to cycle the remaining water I added in. Was very fast but I wanted to try the ammonia way since I've never done it like this before

Today I tested the nitrites and their at 0ppm. The nitrates are up to about 5 ppm. Is this good? Should there be 0 nitrites

Back
Top Bottom