Adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimdem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We're getting closer to getting our Eclipse 12 set up. Bio-Spira will probably be shipped tomorrow. I do have two questions, though:
1. Any tips for getting fish home from the store? I know not to add bag wate to the tank. I'm thinking more about the shock to the fish of the temperature changes. Should we tank an insultated cooler to the store or something? (Since I am using Biospira, as I understand it I will be adding more or less all of my fish at once.)
2. What is the best practice for adding new fish into the tank?

1. cooler might be a good idea and float the bag in the tank for at least 20 minutes to let the water in the bag come up to the temperture in the tank...this will reduce shock on that end.

2. ?

If its a long drive, then bring an insulated cooler (if you feel its necessary), but if its a 10-15min drive, as long as your car isn't overly hot or overly cold.. I would imagine your fish would be okay

like Umberle said, let the bags float in the water for about 20-30min, open them and let a little of your water mix with their water (i guess, after you put in the bio spira), and let that sit for a little bit

then let your fish out, and if possible, turn off your lights while doing all of this.. it helps to be less stressful

Also, don't buy too many fish at once =o)

I am using Biospira, as I understand it I will be adding more or less all of my fish at once.)

Not a good idea. You still want to ease yourself into the tank. Buy a few fish here and a few there, but I wouldn't get your whole tank all in one trip.

You'd be fine with just bringing the fish home in bags, Like everyone else said.

Really? It will be a pretty small tank (12 gallon) with just a few fish, but if it is still better to add them incrementally I can do that. I guess that if I screw up at the beginning I won't lose them all at once. Will I want to add an extra dose of Biospira each time I add more?

Back
Top Bottom