adding plants before cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it's important to add plants during or before the cycling process!!

Well this is a double edged sword of sorts. Yes, the plants can contain some beneficial bacteria on them - that will help seed your cycle. On the other hand, if you are doing a fishless cycle with ammonia - some plants can die off with the high ammonia levels you experience during a fishless cycle.

You could try looking into what they call a silent cycle. If you google it you can find tons of info on it. I still recommend fishless cycling with ammonia though.

i added some low light plants (java fern, wendtii, and anubias) in the middle of my cycle. i used pure ammonia to start my cycle and keep it going. the plants did great, and i believe they actually sped up my cycle. i say add them now, and just be careful about how much you leave your lights on. i guess if you leave them on too long you can have algae problems. i left them on 10-12 hours a day with no algae at all. good luck! :)

meegosh, thats what i was thinking as well

mommytron, thnx for the advice =] i was thinking adding some Wisteria and micro swords, think those would work?

i planted as i was initially filling my tank.. lots of stem plants are good for the cycle even if you don't plan to keep them, i know some people just float the extras. i had a bunch of water sprite, wisteria, anacharis, stuff like that, and they exploded with growth during the cycle at 2wpg. i ended up adding fish during my 5th week. its nice too because your plants are about filled in and coloring up at the time you begin to stock.

Back
Top Bottom