Adding plants to 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10g tank with Guppys and a pleco in it. I already have one plant in the tank & it grows up with long stems and leaves at the end, I want plants that fill in and provide cover, any help?

picture_117 said:
I have a 10g tank with Guppys and a pleco in it. I already have one plant in the tank & it grows up with long stems and leaves at the end, I want plants that fill in and provide cover, any help?

What type of lights, and what type of pleco?

Okay, you will definately need to be religious with your water changes since you have a bristlenose pleco in that tank. I have one in my 10g, and it is not exactly advisable for unless you are up to doing the maintenace required. If you are dedicated you should be able to make it work depending on the exact species of your bristlenose they can get 4 - 6" fully grown. I too have a bristlenose in my 10g, but am willing to have to do the extra work for the little critter.

The second thing is: incandescent bulbs will not grow any kind of plant. The light spectrum they put out is essentially useless to plants. So, you will need to get some compact fluorescent bulbs from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. The ones I use are 13 watt "mini cfl", just make sure the package says "daylight bulb" and/or "6500 K rating". Two of these bulbs will grow low to medium light plants in your tank setup.

How many guppies are in the tank? Livebearers and plecos are notorious for having a high bio-load (excreting a lot of waste).

Ok, for plants, you've got really low light, so I'd say anubias (attach to DW), java moss (attach to DW), java fern,and anarchis are your best bets. As for the big plant, it sounds like an amazon sword.

For the pleco, you were right to buy the bristlenose, but I'm afraid even they'll outgrow a ten gallon. Is it possible for you to upgrade to more like a 30, or trade them in for a few ottos? They'll do just as good at cleaning algae, without reaching 6 inches.

Yeah incandescents are just for now, will probably get fluorescent or LED's.

I am planning on giving my pleco to a friend who has a 60 gallon tank because like ya'll stated it will outgrow mine.

I have 6 guppys in the tank. I can post a picture of the plant

picture_117 said:
Yeah incandescents are just for now, will probably get fluorescent or LED's.

I am planning on giving my pleco to a friend who has a 60 gallon tank because like ya'll stated it will outgrow mine.

I have 6 guppys in the tank. I can post a picture of the plant

Sounds good! We love pictures!

Alright, if you can give him away your tank is probably about stocked. You could get some oto cats or smaller plecos (pitbull) if you still wanted an algae eater. They may be hard to come by depending on where you live though. If you are on a budget, cfl is a whole lot cheaper than LED's IME. Two bulb pack for me was about $7.

If you upgraded to this lighting, you would have a much wider variety of plants for your tank. If you are impatient, like me, fast growing stem plants like anacharis, cabomba, water wisteria, and water sprite could work in your tank. They will fill out a tank fairly nicely.

+1 on the pictures.

img_1387243_0_a63ef655f181070aab7e373f406439a4.jpg

img_1387243_1_1f10ed72f207f1dfe3013f49e39573a6.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Java Moss

hi...so far you already had good advices from everyone here.

+ with the CFLs with 6500k-10000k rating. The plant in the picture looks like some kind of a crypt. But someone must have a proper name for this later.

You are in the right track of exchanging your BN pleco to an oto.

Keep it up!

Yes!! When I purchased him (lonely otto) the lady said to go back on Sunday, they get their shipment Saturday, and get about two more for my tank

picture_117 said:
Yes!! When I purchased him (lonely otto) the lady said to go back on Sunday, they get their shipment Saturday, and get about two more for my tank

Aww, cool!

Back
Top Bottom