Adjusting pH Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed that my pH has been raising ever so slightly as I go along in my cycle. I started with my water at a ph of 6.4 so I opted to use the crushed coral in a media bag to get the levels to a more desirable level for the bacteria. My test this evening showed that the pH has reached 8.0. From what I have read, I believe this is starting to go into an undesirable range for my purposes so I am looking for advice on getting it back down. I was thinking of possibly doing a partial water change like maybe 20% so that the pH would lower a bit. Would this be an acceptable method for lowering it? I would like to avoid using products to adjust it and would like to try and get it down naturally. My next question is... if doing a small water change is acceptable, how do I adjust the amount of Seachem Prime that I add? Would it just be 20% (or whatever the percent of water change may be) of whatever the original dosing was for my tank size?

The cruched coral is calcium. Calcium raises ph. Remove the crushed coral and do a water change of around 30% and it will lower. Yes you add the prime to the ammount of water your adding to your tank. 50g=5ml so adjust accordingly. Whats your tank size?

The cruched coral is calcium. Calcium raises ph. Remove the crushed coral and do a water change of around 30% and it will lower. Yes you add the prime to the ammount of water your adding to your tank. 50g=5ml so adjust accordingly. Whats your tank size?

The tank being cycled is a 10 gallon. I assume at this point, I will be leaving the crushed coral out permanently unless for some strange reason the pH drops below 6.5? Or would I be even safer not letting it drop below 7.0?

The tank being cycled is a 10 gallon. I assume at this point, I will be leaving the crushed coral out permanently unless for some strange reason the pH drops below 6.5? Or would I be even safer not letting it drop below 7.0?

6.5 is okay. 7.0 is better. Take it completely out and see what happens. If it drops below 7.0 then add a quarter of the coral you have in there now. It will take some messing with to get it right. Just dont add chemical oh buffers

Edit- and your gonna dose .1 mL of prime per gallon of tank water replaced

Thanks so much for the help jwh0818. The prime per gallon conversion was extremely helpful as well. Much appreciated!

I removed the crushed coral and did a 25% water change. The pH temporarily lowered to about 7.6. The next day however it was back up to 8.0 again. I then did a 50% water change and was able to get it down to 7.4. Overnight however, it raised right back up to 8.0. I thought during the fishless cycle that the ammonia would gradually lower the pH? I am now considering adding peat moss to try and keep it down below 8 hopefully to around 7.5 while I cycle. Any idea how much peat moss is needed in a 10 gallon tank?

I removed the crushed coral and did a 25% water change. The pH temporarily lowered to about 7.6. The next day however it was back up to 8.0 again. I then did a 50% water change and was able to get it down to 7.4. Overnight however, it raised right back up to 8.0. I thought during the fishless cycle that the ammonia would gradually lower the pH? I am now considering adding peat moss to try and keep it down below 8 hopefully to around 7.5 while I cycle. Any idea how much peat moss is needed in a 10 gallon tank?

Just remove all crushed coral

Just remove all crushed coral

I removed all crushed coral prior to initiating the first water change and have not placed it back in since. It was in a media bag and hanging in front of the filter water flow so I do not believe there should be any residual effects from it being that I was able to completely remove all of it, especially after 2 water changes that had no exposure to it. The water being added during the water change actually has a pH of 6.4 so the idea was that alone should have lowered it and it did do so but only very temporarily. I am worried that if it continues to rise as it has been, I will end up stalling my cycle so I was hoping to use the peat moss as a temporary solution to keeping it at a level that is healthy for the fishless cycle.

On another note, we have an extremely reputable pet shop near by and when I went in looking for the peat moss, I assumed I would be looking for a big bag of the stuff, kinda like the big bag of crushed coral. The sales guy who seemed extremely knowledgable did not think they carried it in a large bulk bag but instead suggested I use the Fluval Peat Granules since I would be adding it to the filter in a media bag and thats exactly what the stuff is for. Other things I have read suggested getting a generic bulk peat moss at like home depot.

Are these two things the same thing? The box says recommended for fish that prefer soft acidic water. Although I wont be using this stuff for my end result, simply for maintaining a decent pH during my cycle, is this stuff the same as what I am ultimately looking for?

I would leave the tank alone and don't worry about the ph unless it rises more which I doubt it will. Peat is a temporary solution to lowering ph and you'll find everytime you do a WC you have to add more which can add up in dollars. If your really that worried and have a 10 gallon tank go get a couple gallons of RO or Distilled water and do a WC using that. As your cycle continues it's common for ph to drop. Right now it's not hurting anything.

Back
Top Bottom