Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advice For A New 2G Setup?

Hello all!
On a whim, I picked up a new 2 gallon hex yesterday. Couldn't pass it up for $15. Especially when my computer desk here at home seems to have a nook in it built specifically for this tank

I want to do my first planted tank, and am going to try Java fern and moss. If they don't work out, they can always be moved to my 6g...

My questions are- being a plant newb-
1) get tank going now and cycle, then plant it? Or will the plants play a key role?

2) I'm thinking plain jane substrate will be fine... Or should I get some speciality stuff? How about a gravel/potting soil mix?

Setup will have a ~13w CF light desk lamp over it, and will be filtered. Still debating heat, as this will be an eventual home for a new Betta...

All help very appreciated

Old 10-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Java Moss and Java Fern are very undemanding plants. I wouldn't worry about special substrate unless you think there will be little bioload to supply the plant with nutrients. I think substrate tabs might be a better way to go with the plain substrate.

The lighting doesn't matter so much with these plants either. They are pretty undemanding.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

U can add a betta fish it would look nice.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
Java ferns and moss should usually be tied to a rock or a piece of driftwood. If you do plant the fern, make sure the rhizome is not buried in the substrate.

VOTE NOW FOR AQUARIUM ADVICE!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

the plants are not a key roll but you can put them in before cycling and it will go all fine. i recently set up a 400l planted tank and all the plants went fine though cycle.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 2gal hex with some great plants and two African dwarf frogs (amphibious). They love the plants. If you get them, put small rocks in the bottom. They don't see very well and the food will fall between big rocks. And I never cycled them because I used spring water in the tank. no treatment necessary.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com