Advice for first tank; 5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaNewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

So I am thinking about starting an aquarium. I've never had one before, except as a young kid (I cringe to think about how we kept fish, but I guess this is common)

Anyways, I would need a small tank 5g and space is limited, so it would not be a wide tank. I also realize a 5g tank might be a bit harder since concentrations can vary quickly, and I would prefer to keep things somewhat easy. I know that this really limits my options, and I'd like some feedback. Here are my thoughts:

I'd really like to have beginner friendly live plants in the tank. (anubis? java moss or fern?)

With a heavily planted tank, I don't think a beta would do so well. Right?

So what are fish that might work? I have heard a pair of least killifish may do well. Also, I have heard scarlet badis can be kept in small tanks.

I'd additionally like to keep 1 small shrimp, and possibly 2 small snails (though i have heard snails may not be good because they are dirty)
I'd really like schooling fish that are active, but I think for this I'd need at least 10g.

Though I am willing to dedicate a good amount of time each day to the tank, I'd prefer not to have a tank that is especially high maintenance.

Oh, and I'd to occasionally feed the fish live things, though I assume pretty much all fish this can be done with.

Anyways, will this work? Or do these fish need more room. I guess I should also mention i don't want the fish to breed

Edit: Just saw another guy post about his 2.5g tank, and he was going to put 2 least killi, 2 endler livebearers, or 5 celestial pearl dianos. I looked up the CPDs, wow! They are so cool. But can you really fit 5 in a 2.5g?? I'd love to put 5 in a 5g, but id really want the fish to do very well.

First off welcome!

Now to some clarity. One, betta do great in a heavily planted tank. For example here is my five gallon. Note the Betta lol.

View attachment 291258

Next up... No you should not do five cpd in a 2.5 gallon. Though CPDs are great for a five.

The think to remember when stocking a nano tank is to think of it like a doll house. Don't put big items in that take away from the tank.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments on this site more than most.

Endlers (males preferably)
Betta (1m or 1-2 females)
Green Neon Tetra (not really green)
Ember Tetras
Scarlet badis
Celestial pearl danios
Many types of rasboras (some are incredible looking)
Some types of Killifish
Dwarf Puffer
Smallest Gobbies
Smallest two species of the shell dwelling cichlids (Lamprologus Ocellatus or neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis)
Smallest apistograma (its not colorful)

For breeding only or grow out many many more. However this list is not near complete.

Just go by max size when looking at them. You are building a doll house.

I wouldn't consider shrimp or snails against the bio load.

If multiple fish please use real plants and hiding places. Though you could end up like me and needing to do nitrate supplements. Who would have thought that? But I just had to order some nitrates for my tank.

Hope this helps!

I would recommend guppies! They are pretty, active and colourful! You may be able to fit neons in there but if it is tall, maybe not!

Full fancy guppies are a little big and active plus dontvput females in there. Neons like to spread out larger than a five gallon footprint. Why I recommended green neons... Basically mini neons.

Micro Rasbora species with Cherry Shrimp is nice. But they do appeciate plants.

Just Shrimp is nice too.

Just a single nice Betta works ( you can try Ghost Shrimp, but he might kill off tank mates).

My Betta male loved his 10g
IMG_1479953385.922988.jpg
IMG_1479953428.162718.jpg

My 10g Shrimp Jungle
IMG_1479953478.718965.jpg
IMG_1479953517.523808.jpg

Old pics, but thought you'd like to see.

Back
Top Bottom