Advice for new 105g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevtacular

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! My girlfriend and I are setting up a new 105g tank (60"x18"x24"), and I'd love to get some opinions on whether or not we're on the right track. We're thinking of keeping discus, tetras, and some bottom-dwellers (maybe loaches). Here's the setup I'm considering so far:

- 2 Eheim 2217 filters (not enough? Too much?)
- AquaticLife T5 HO light fixtures. 2 30" strips with 2 24W bulbs each. (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23753 ... Too little wattage?)
- Hydor ETH in-line heater 300W (I'm afraid it won't be enough, but I haven't found any more powerful in-line heaters. Should I run two?)
- Sand substrate with some rock and plants (haven't decided what kind yet)

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice!

How many discus? Have you kept them ever you have to do alot of water changes read up on them.

I don't use Eheim filters but I run 4 Fluval 406's on my 220g tank. So 2 canisters on a 105g is good. One 300w inline heater probably will not be enough especially to keep water at a higher temp for discus. I run 3 300w in tank heaters on my 220g.

As for lighting what you linked to is going to be very dim lighting. Are you going to add live plants, which discus will prefer? Aquatic Life are good fixtures, I have them and a 72" one with Metal Halides and T5HO's on the 220g. You want to check around and find one like this in the proper size and length BUT in freshwater bulbs (these are saltwater bulbs not suitable for a freshwater tank)... AquaticLife 60" T5 HO 4 Lamp Fixture with Lunar Lights

@dennis - I'm planning to keep 6 of them. I've never kept discus before, but I've kept kribs in a community tank for many years. I know discus are far more demanding, but I'm ready for the challenge. :)

@rivercats - Yeah, I figured one 300W wouldn't be enough. <Sigh> Thanks for the input!

I do plan to keep plants. I was afraid the light fixture I referenced was underpowered, but they claim you can attach up to 3 of them together to make a 6-light fixture. Would that be sufficient? Or would I need to upgrade the bulbs? I've kept fish for a long time, but I've only kept very simple plants, so I confess to being a bit clueless on lighting!

Thank you both for your help...

Even 3 together is going to be low light plus they aren't even the length of the tank. About all you could grow well would be Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts. You "might" be able to do Water Sprite, Jungle Val, and Dwarf Sag also.

Okay, thanks for the info. That's disappointing, especially since I just ordered them the day before your first reply! That's what I get for not being patient!

I'll definitely think about sending them back because I have a feeling I could really get into the plant side of things. Do you have any recommendations of good places to shop for freshwater lights? Most of the places I've looked don't seem to carry 60" light fixtures, which is why I was going to put 30" fixtures end to end.

Thinking about picking up "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" to help fill the giant plant void in my brain... Looks like a good book:
http://www.amazon.com/Ecology-Plant...=8-1&keywords=ecology+of+the+planted+aquarium

Back
Top Bottom