Advice needed for 13 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenibelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We're also open to other suggestions though!

We're considering a sorority of bettas instead. Would 5 be a good number? I've read anywhere between 3-7. Would the sorority be okay with the frog and the snail, though?

Also, I think I've read that guppies can live with bettas? If so, how many could comfortably live with a male betta (I think I would need at least 2 guppies, is that correct?). And would the frog/snail also be able to live with the guppies + betta.

A sorority of bettas will be fine, as long as you have enough separation/hiding areas so each can have her own mini territory. From what I've read in the past, and my own experience, I would go with at least 4-5 females, so the dominant fish won't harass any of the others overly much, as her aggression will be spread between several fish. I doubt guppies would be good tank mates for bettas though.
The frog should be fine in the tank as long as you remember that they produce a lot of waste, so water changes need to be frequent; at least 30-40% weekly.
Please don't forget to properly cycle your tank before adding any livestock.

The pet store (and I'm sure their information isn't always reliable, so please correct me if I'm wrong) said that the snail would help keep things clean. Is this true? Should I add a few more snails? Or is there another animal, who can live comfortably with the betta(s) and frog [in a 13 gallon tank], that will help keep the water clean?

I'm a fan of snails. Some people aren't. But, yes, they should help keep the tank clean. If you're going to a chain pet store like Petsmart or Petco, the info you get may or may not be reliable. If you go to a LFS, usually the people there are fish lovers with tanks of their own and valuable knowledge.

A 13g tank is not large enough for a sorority of female bettas. You should stick to your original plan of a betta, ADF, and snails. Even with heavy planting there just is not enough room for 4-5 female bettas. Also guppies and bettas do not usually get do well together (both have colorful, flowy tails). Bettas are a hit and miss with tank mates. I have an ADF with a female in a 10g and they do ok together (they do pick on each other) but I've had bettas that have eaten ADFs. It depends on the betta. Also, snails do not clean tank water, you do by doing water changes and vacuuming. Snails will clean up leftover food, algae, and plants (depends on the snail whether it will eat your living plants).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're sure there won't be enough room? Because I put the measurements into the AqAdvisor calculator and it said my stocking level was just at 61% for 5 females, a frog, and a snail.

You're sure there won't be enough room? Because I put the measurements into the AqAdvisor calculator and it said my stocking level was just at 61% for 5 females, a frog, and a snail.

Well aqadvisor is way off on this one. 5 bettas is too many.

The deal with Sororities...best if you can get a group that has been raised together since they were babies.

Otherwise use a heavily planted tank so they can avoid each other as needed.

Some sororities work. Some fail badly.
I tried it at work. Picked 5 females. Put them into a 10g at same time. Not enough plants. Dead Betta every day. One survivor...beat up and did not look good. Mine failed !

Every Betta is different. I've had several over the years. Some tolerate tank mates, some do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom