Advice on First Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

llama0788

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!

I am an aquarium newbie, but have been looking into starting this exciting hobby. I have been doing a lot of research and was just looking for some sound advice. I want to do a planted (moderate to heavy) aquarium with a sort of South American biotope feel to it. I want to make it balanced as well (top, middle, and bottom swimmers). Maybe some black neon tetras(6), neon tetras (6), otos(3), and shrimp/snails? All this in a 20 gallon long aquarium (that is about the biggest size I can get considering space limitations). For the equipment, I was thinking an AquaClear 30 power filter, Eheim Jager 100W heater, and the Nova Extreme T5 light hood (Amazon.com: Nova Extreme T5 X2 for Freshwater 24Inch: Home & Garden). Or would it just be better to surf craigslist for used equipment for my first tank.

Like I said I am a complete newbie, but I have tried to do some research before I put any money/time into this hobby. Any advice would be appreciated SO MUCH.

a great start!! i agree some rams or apistos would work with your stock you could also do amano shrimp. i also suggest aponogeton, anachris, and jungle vals.

llama0788 said:
Are those good fish for a beginner like me?

Yes. After the tank has been setup for a few months and all water levels are stable rams and apistos can be added and they are fairly easy to take care of.

Bought tank off craigslist

So I just picked up a 3 month old tank and got it set up in my apartment. It is a 20 gallon planted tank that came with an AquaClear 50, 96 W Power Compact light fixture, a substrate of Eco-Complete, basic chemicals including fertilizers. There are dwarf hair grass plants in the back and dwarf baby tears in the front. The stocking includes 10 Serpae Tetras and 2 Otos. Like I said I am a complete beginner, but I have done a fair amount of research. My questions concerning this particular setup are:

1. Does this fit my idea for a SA biotope?
2. What other stock, plants, extras can I add to this setup that would go well?
3. Are the filter and lighting too much? If so, is there anything I can do to fix this without buying anything extra?
4. Do I need to use the fertilizer? If so, when should I start using it?
5. Do I need to use the CO2 booster? If so, how often?
6. Are there any other items I will need to purchase?

Thanks for any help you can provide. It is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a nice tank! I would test the water every day for a week or two to make sure it's truly cycled and ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 and then be diligent about your weekly water changes to keep nitrates <20. If it's stable then I'd say you could start adding other fish if you like.

The filter seems OK to me, it's a larger one than the tank needs which is always good. If the tank is established and the filter is the one that's been running on the tank you don't want to replace the media or you'll get rid of your beneficial bacteria and throw the tank backwards in cycling. You could always add a second filter to the tank if you wanted extra filtration.

I'm not a plant expert by any means so I'll defer those questions to someone else. :D (There's also a planted section on this forum; you could ask your questions there also). Congrats and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom