Advice on fish for 20H.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

In the middle of a fishless cycle and now trying to decide what to stock my 20H with.

It's a freshwater tank and doesn't have real plants.

I was thinking this, but PLEASE any other suggestions on other fish is greatly appreciated.

Fish

2 Dwarf Gourami

2 Korthausae Killifish

Or maybe this:

Fish

2 Dwarf Gourami

6 Cardinal Tetra

[edit]Updated to just a fish only tank, no lobster.

Thanks
Eric

Lobsters should be by themselves, they will eat anything they can catch, so most shrimp and will be easy targets

Oh ok thanks. What about just the lobster and the rest fish?

Would the lobster not eat the fish while they slept?

Wouldn't the gouramis just eat the shrimp?

The lobster will probably be incompatible with most fish in a tank that size. Eventually he'll get one or more of them unless you keep him well fed, which will strain the filtration system. While the general rule of thumb is that inverts don't "count" towards the bioload, obviously something as big as a blue lobster that eats a lot should count. Little things like shrimp and snails, no.

The gouramis will probably not eat adult RCS but with fish in there you won't get any babies as they'll be eaten.

Your fish suggestions on their own would be good. I'd maybe add a small school of dwarf cories as well. But first I'd suggest deciding whether you want a lobster tank, a shrimp tank or a fish tank and then go from there.

Ok great info guy. I am glad I posted this.

So I will definitely be scratching the lobster off the list.

So just fish, what would you guys suggest?

Would this be too much?

8 Cardinal Tetra

2 Korthausae Killifish

or

8 Cardinal Tetra

2 Dwarf Gourami from a good breeder, but not sure I want to risk it after reading that link.

Could I go with more Tetra's, could I add more fish, or am I maxing it out?

Going to look into dwarf cories as suggested.

You can still have shrimp in there or snails(if you want, some can breed like crazy). Or even an ADF(african dwarf frog)

Awesome thanks for all the info guys. Should be ready for fish in 2 weeks then I will post up some pictures. Thanks!

I have a 20g H as well, I have 12 neons and 9 black neons in it. It has a few plants as well, and about 20 ghost shrimp. I keep up with the water changes and all seems to be good.

Back
Top Bottom