advice on fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crankkt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to new fish keeping and also this forum so please excuse my noobiness. I have a 10 gallon tank that I set up 9 days ago with a heater(keeping it at 82 degrees), substrate and filter. I filled with with tap water, and treated it with multi-purpose aquarium water conditioner(from Big Al's). After 24 hours, I added Old Country ammonia and dosed it to 5-6 ppm ammonia(using a nutrifin test kit). I left it like this for 2-3 days and became impatient and went and bought some tetra safe start(i put the whole bottle in) and some live plants. This is now day 8, I went and bought a new testing kit(API master kit) and tested the water tonight. I feel my old testing kit may not have been that accurate as the ammonia appears to be 4-8ppm with the new one. Nitrite 5ppm. Nitrate 80ppm ish. I tried uploading a picture of my test results, not sure if it worked but i will also post a link to it on photobucket. Perhaps I am reading the results wrong. The second link is to a pic of my set up if you need that for any reason. I am unsure what I need to do now, if someone could please help:) Thank you

20140724_235327.jpg Photo by panikbeimdisko | Photobucket
http://s136.photobucket.com/user/panikbeimdisko/media/20140724_235451.jpg.html?filters[user]=31247313&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

Well.. A start would be following the instructions on the water treaters...
Not trying to sound like a prick but, maybe reading up extensively about a fishless cycle might do you some good.

The only thing you can do now is wait, patience is the only way this hobby will work out.
Nothing good happens overnight when it comes to fish.

Obviously you could always just shove some fish in there and carefully watch the tanks parameters until it's all levelled out, this means DAILY maintenance though, if you want the cycle fish to stick around.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think my problem is that I have read too much information. A lot of which conflicting. I'm not interested in a fish in cycle. So I guess my question really was, even with the nitrates being so high I don't need to do a pwc or anything? Is it good to leave it still? I understand that cycling takes several weeks, but given I am new I do not want to do anything to stall the process and make it take longer. Thanks for your help

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think my problem is that I have read too much information. A lot of which conflicting. I'm not interested in a fish in cycle. So I guess my question really was, even with the nitrates being so high I don't need to do a pwc or anything? Is it good to leave it still? I understand that cycling takes several weeks, but given I am new I do not want to do anything to stall the process and make it take longer. Thanks for your help

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

NitrATES won't go down, the filter's job is to turn fish gunk into Ammonia, Ammonia into NitrITE and NitrITE into NitrATE.
NitrATE is the least harmful substance in the tank but it can be deadly upwards of 40ppm.
The only way to rid the tank of NitrATES is to do a water change.

Given the circumstances of a fishless cycle though, it'd be pointless trying to get rid of them until the Ammonia and NitrITE part of the cycle is complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom