Advice on new tank purchase please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all you Fish Keeping Veterans. I was looking for some guidance in buying a new tank. I have never kept fish before and have been studying up for a few months now and really want to give this hobby a try.

Everything I've read, and all I've been told is "bigger is better". More water, is more forgiving for a new persons most certain mistakes. I get that, and I agree. I guess my question is how big is forgiving? I've had several local people tell me to not even bother starting up if I go with anything less than a 55. I have been considering what they call a 40 gal breeder tank, 36x18x16. Too small for a new person? and is the 'breeder" tank as opposed to a normal one that is 12 inches wide okay?

I should probably also let you now I am thinking Platy and Tetra for fish. Any advice you share would be appreciated. I don't want to waste money on something that is going to be difficult, yet I'm not sure I have the funds to fully equip a 55. More gravel, more decorations, more dechlorinator, more fish, more food, more water each time. It all adds up! If that is the BEST option, and a 40 would be a starter mistake, I will keep saving. Let me know what you think!

IMO it would be fine, I personally love the 40 breeders dimensions, perfect for a SW tank, planted, or any sort. It gives great swimming room and has lots of depth for decorating/aquascaping.

Just make sure you research any fish you want to get, and ask any questions you may have here on AA like fishless cycling and the like.

You can certainly do a 40G for your first tank, that's much larger than most people start with.

40 breeders are amazing... I have one, and would love to have a few more... Much easier than a 55 IMO, and doesn't take up nearly as much room as my big tanks. What they mean by bigger is better... don't get a 10g, or even a 20g for that matter.

Welcome to AA by the way ;)

WOW, thanks for the quick replys! This is the active forum I've been looking for! I'm a member of a few others that take days to get advice from, you guys are awesome!

If you two have 40 breeders, one more quick question, it is a standard type size right? So I shouldn't have trouble finding one of those glass tops for it? I really prefer the look of those to the black plastic hoods. Thanks again, I'm sure I will be back with a million more questions, this fish stuff is kind of exciting :)

Are you planting it or doing saltwater? Reason I ask is because the hoods or glass tops aren't necessary in either. really, I prefer no top. Unless you have cats that would jump in or fish that are known to jump a lot. I don't have lids on any of my tanks.

No salt water, and no real plants to start out with, maybe one day down the road after I master taking of the fish! Just a freshwater community tank with artificial everything. Really, no lids? Huh, didn't realize that was an option. That may be a money saver right there, thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind for sure. Wait, doesn't the light sit on the lid?

Fishy123 said:
No salt water, and no real plants to start out with, maybe one day down the road after I master taking of the fish! Just a freshwater community tank with artificial everything. Really, no lids? Huh, didn't realize that was an option. That may be a money saver right there, thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind for sure. Wait, doesn't the light sit on the lid?

There are lights that have legs to sit on the tank trim, or you can suspend a fixture from the ceiling.

Now I really want to go to the store and look at this stuff, and with my work schedule, no time 'til friday to do so! Uugggh, going to be a long rest of the week!

Online... that's where you get the best deals. I got my T5HO fixture for my 40 breeder for $80 from fishneedit.com. You can have a looksie from the link in my signature. But... if you're not doing plants, no need to spend the extra cash.

If you don't have a lid some fish like tetras may jump out. Just research your stock and check if they are prone to jumping. Of course any fish could jump but some ate more apt to do so than others. Lids also keep the water from evaporating too fast and humidity levels down.

My husband said the same thing about evaporation xander. Our house gets really dry in the winter, would probably be adding water every night like a humidifier!

If you don't have a lid some fish like tetras may jump out. Just research your stock and check if they are prone to jumping. Of course any fish could jump but some ate more apt to do so than others. Lids also keep the water from evaporating too fast and humidity levels down.

It also makes for poor gas exchange and then a lowering of your pH unfortunately

It also makes for poor gas exchange and then a lowering of your pH unfortunately

just to be clear, sorry it's late here...NOT having a lid makes for poor gas exchange, or HAVING a lid makes for poor gas exchange and lowering of pH?

I've never had bigger than 40g...and that was only briefly. I only have the time/space for a 20g so I use a 20g....That being said. I would want a 40breeder in the future. Never get tall tanks. You'll kick yourself for it. Get long or breeder sized tanks.

@ above

Having a lid will drop pH. It lowers contact with the atmosphere and can negatively affect your pH in sw.

^What he said, I was referring to xanders comment.

@Crepe, not sure if you have experience in FW (Saying this because I don't myself, and have no idea if you do or not..) but does it lower pH in both FW and SW? I had always thought that it was both

Yes, it happens in fw too... happened on my 150g when I ran glass tops.... but i also had the plastic piece on them so it was sealed pretty good. Haven't run glass tops (except for a small piece under my lights) since.

Okay, I thought so. Crepe said SW so I got confused and thought my advice was then wrong.

Thanks for clarification!

This stuff can be confusing. I think I got it though, and if I have really hard tap water, a lid could actually help lower pH, so all in all probably not a bad investment for a newbie.

I think I am sold on the 40 gal breeder tank though. I laid out a bunch of tank footprint cutouts last night at work (yeah I had some free time after the supervisor left :rolleyes: ) and it really does seem like the most bang for buck type thing to me. I'm a hands on type person though, and will have to see an actual tank on a stand to really get a feel for it, but for now, that is what I am thinking. However, I am a girl and reserve the right to change my mind! ;)

Back
Top Bottom