Advice on Stocking Fish in New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bearysadie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK. So here's the deal...This is my first Aquarium.

I bought a 37 gal column aquarium. I have it set up with 1 decoration, 2 air stones, 5 fake plants and a ~4.5 lb Texas holey rock.

With help from this website, I've just finished my fishless cycle (I just have to do a large water change to get the nitrates down) and I'm ready to stock my aquarium but I'm unsure about what type of fish to stock.

I'm using my tap water and prime for the aquarium. The pH of my tap water is 8.0 and with the addition of the texas holey rock, my aquarium has been consistently at a pH of 8.2 (I know that it the rock raises the pH but I like it and there's not a lot of difference between 8 and 8.2 so I really don't want to get rid of it). I have pH down, but this only seems to temporarily lower my pH (it returns to 8.2).

So I'm looking for decorative fish that prefer a higher pH. I am open to any suggestions. I eventually would like to get a pleco but otherwise I have no requirements

Thanks for any help.

I think you could have some smaller african cichlids in there. Keep in mind that a column tank has less surface area on top, meaning lower oxygen levels, so less fish. Bloodfin tetras look nice and can tolerate up to 8.5 ph, and almost any temperature, and are quite peaceful.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I looked at the bloodfin tetras and came across the silver tip tetra, which appear to be hardy also and can live in the higher pH. Plus, at my lFS they had silver tip but no bloodfin, so I picked up 7.

Here's what I'm thinking....Let me know if you see any problems with this combo.

I'm going to add in some driftwood to lower the pH and for the pleco I want to get.

7 silver tip tetra
2 Pearl Gourami or 2 Dwarf Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Pleco-a smaller one like a Tiger, Clown, Flash or Bristlenose

I've used AqAdvisor and it says the tank is not overstocked, but does anyone see any problems with this group co-existing together??? From my research, they all seem to be peaceful or relatively peaceful fish. Or are there any that may be too sensitive/difficult for a newbie?

Thanks Again for your Help :thanks:

For the gouramis I'd probably recommend just going with one unless you're sure one is a female. Two males in one tank ends up bad more times than it ends up good.

I think you should scratch the rams and go with a small school of tetras or something. Some african tetras can tolerate that ph. Bolivian rams prefer a ph of 6 - 7, so above 8 would probably be too much. Or you could go with african cichilds instead of the ram.

The silver tip tetras in my tank are really aggresive.There are 2,and over 13 guppies died possibly because of the stressful nipping.(over the 10 months)But I would say they are really hardy,and not one died ever in my tank.Anyway,since you have 7 of them,maybe the aggression will happen less.

Back
Top Bottom