advice on upgraded overstocked tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've recently upgraded my tank to a 40 gallon tank (this week) because I feel like my fishes were in dire need of a bigger home. I was also recently given a few foshes a friend wasnt able to keep so now I feel like it is once again overstocked and am not sure what to do with all these fishes. Not to mention some of these fishes shouldn't even be kept together in the same tank. My tank is planted (different variety of plants) in the back has 2 pieces of drift would and a couple other decorations along with an air pump. I currently have an aqueon 50 filter but am getting a 75 gallon filter tomorrow to add extra filtration. For substate I am using eco complete as a bottom layer and regular gravel over that. My water has been cloudy since moving the fishes and am not sure if this is because its going through another cycle or another problem in the tank. The chemicals I am currently using are: water clarifier (aqueon) melafix (api) stress coat (api) i have prime by sea chem and co2 booster (api) i was told to use stress zyme as well (api) because it would add bacteria to my tank and clear my water in a matter of hours so I ordered it and will be arriving tomorrow as well. I would really love any input anyone could give and any advice is appreciated.
Plants: crypts, anubias, swords, java fern and couple other whose names I cant remember
Fish:
2 angel fish
2 betta= 1 male 1 female
1 bristle nose pleco
1 rainbow shark
2 american dwarf frogs
2 emerald green cory catfish
2 algea eaters
11 guppies= 8 babys 3 adults
8 molly= 6 fry 1 silver molly young 1 adult balloon molly
3 swordtail= 2 female 1 male
8 neon tetra
2 red eyed tetra
3 golden inca snails= 2dults 1 baby
2 platys
Like I previously stated I am aware my tank is overstocked and some of the fishes are not supposed to be in the same tank as others. I am asking for help on what to do and which ones are the best compatible that I can keep.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170106_085527.jpg
    20170106_085527.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 76
If you have a local fish store they often will take in fish, given they have the space in return for store credit.
On another note, that's a lot of chemicals. You really don't need them especially melafix unless you have an injured fish.

Do you know how the nitrogen cycle works? Sounds like you know what it is. Have you tested your water?

The milky color of your tank water looks like bacterial bloom to me. If so it will clear given some time. It could also be the CO2 booster causing the milky water. So long as your fish aren't showing signs of stress I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I only use Seachem Safe (a concentrated powder version of Prime) in my tanks. No other chemicals. That keeps things very simple for me.

It's hard to give advice on the stock without knowing which fish you really want to keep. If you can let us know what fish from the list you would like to hold on to we can advise based on that.

However if the 2 algae eaters you mentioned are common plecos they should be the first to go.

By the way .... I just had a look at your tank photo again. Some of the plants will need to have the pots and wool removed and to be planted into the gravel.

Check this out when you get a chance.

:)

2 angel fish
2 betta= 1 male 1 female
1 bristle nose pleco
1 rainbow shark
2 american dwarf frogs
2 emerald green cory catfish
2 algea eaters
11 guppies= 8 babys 3 adults
8 molly= 6 fry 1 silver molly young 1 adult balloon molly
3 swordtail= 2 female 1 male
8 neon tetra
2 red eyed tetra

3 golden inca snails= 2dults 1 baby
2 platys

I highlighted in red what you can keep to maintain a community tank. The rainbow shark can stay IF it's the only shark you will have. I don't know about the frogs or snails so I'll leave that to the others to answer.

Angels get too big and are semi-aggressive. The 2 algae eaters will get too big and when they do, they will get to the smaller moving fish and that's not good. And the bettas shouldn't be together but you could keep the female in there perhaps. Bettas tend to be aggressive towards shiny, bright, and bigger fish as they see them as a threat.

Hope I helped since the other responses dealt with the other issues at hand. Wish I was your neighbor, I'd take some off your hands.

adding on to Diana, you could get a five gallon, start a cycle with the some rock and media floss from the established tank and put one betta and two dwarf frogs

How big is your other tank? You could just use that again and divide a section for one of the betta, and put the other betta, frogs, and a school of neons in the main section.

Back
Top Bottom