Aeration for a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrs.h2012 said:
And filter is now installed with the old carbon cartridge and floss that i left in the aquarium as recommended by member from here and working great! I've been stalking threads lately since I don't know much about the hobby like a lot of you here do, and I remember reading on some thread that some recommends not using the carbon cartridges at all and just use the floss. Or what do you guys recommend as far ad filter contents?

Since your trying to cycle it would be good to leave it in for now till your done. It may have bacteria on it, normally carbon is only good (for what its used for) for a few days. I only use carbon every so often. I use stars, floss, pads and ceramic rings.

Mrs.h2012 said:
I just performed a pH test and still holding
Steady at 7.6. Filter has been running for almost an hour now. When should I do a PWC? Water is looking a little cloudy now.

You need to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels with the api liquid test kit not the strips they are junk. Then let us know, did you add ammonia for a fish less cycle or are you doing fish in?

Mrs.h2012 said:
I got my aquarium completely set up, I was just wondering what kind of aeration is good for a 10g? I used to have, please forgive me.. I'm not up with the technical terms since I've been out of the habit for nearly two years, a bubble... wand maybe (looks more like a rod)? that was 8 inches I believe, but when I got my old fish stuff from my moms house and was going through it my son got ahold of it and broke it. The only other thing I had for aeration, I have no clue what it's called, it's not a bubble stone, it's a lot smaller, like maybe an inch long at the most and it's more cylinder shaped. I'm currently using it under a broken barrel decor piece I love, im attaching a picture, so that the bubbles come out from the 'holes' in the barrel. Is this enough or should I have more aeration than this?

I have 2 10g tanks & all I have running are the filters and that seems to be plenty. They break the surface of the water so are providing plenty of water movement, same with my 46g.

I'm doing a fish less cycle, I haven't added any ammonia to the tank yet. I still have to get the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite tests, I'll be sure and only get the liquid test. All I have done is set up the tank, and let it run. Only thing that has been added is dechlorinator when I set the tank up on Thursday night. I set it up and left it alone for the night, and when I did a pH test on Friday morning discovered the filter I was given with the tank had died, a member here recommended that I take the carbon cartridge and floss out and leave it in the aquarium until I got a new filter, so the tank sat there all day Friday and most of Saturday without a filter running but with the cartridge snd floss in the tank and got the filter installed with the old carbon cartridge and floss about 6 pm last night and has been running with a filter ever since. pH has been holding steady at 7.6.

Well there is nothing in the tank to get the cycle started so just let it run till you get the ammonia added. So there should be no need to do a water change with no ammonia, nitrite

ACE hardware if you have one near you; the ACE brand janitorial strength is what you want (are you in the US?). Otherwise you can try some other stores, like a dollar store or Walmart but check the label: if it has surfactants, dyes, perfumes in it don't use it.

I have an ace hardware really close to my house, I will go by and get some soon, I still have to get the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests too.

If your looking to get live plants on the future it's worth looking into a filter that doesn't y use carbon cartridges. Mechanical filtration(sponge or filter floss) is usual plenty of filtration and unlike carbon won't remove nutrients from the water that the plants could use.

I have two things of the floss, one is the floss that came with the filter I was given that doesn't work (had to buy a new filter) and the floss from the new filter. Would it be better to have both flosses in my filter and take out the carbon cartridge even though I haven't officially started the cycling, haven't been able to get the master test kit yet and I won't have live plants to begin with? The plan is too eventually get live plants on down the road as well as a bigger tank.

Well the floss from your old filter could possibly help the cycling in your new filter. As long as some of your filter media stays you should be able to switch floss and carbon any time without any issues. The important thing is to make sure there is atleast one piece of media that has established bacteria. I would suggest using your old floss and I suppose the new one for your cycling.

Back
Top Bottom