African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forester

Aquarium Advice Freak
what to stock

Hi everyone I have a 29g high with an aquaclear 300. I was wondering if I could have African cichlids, if I could how many and of what types. Thanks

"African Cichlid" is a extremely broad term, are we talking lake Tanganyika, lake Malawi , river cichlids?!

The only "African Cichlid" I would recommend for that tank would be a species of 'Lamprologus' which is a shell dwelling cichlid from Lake Tanganyika or Kribs which is a river cichlid.

probably tanganika but if you think species from a different lake would work better i would be fine with those

Fish from Tanganyika get to large to be comfortably housed in a 29, with the exception of the shellies that I mentioned before. Most African cichlids will do best in a 4' or larger tank.

there are dwarf africans like pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi that might work, but only just. why not look at other cichlids like angels or rams?
or kribensis with something? x

P. nicholsi and/or related species would kill any conspecifics in a 29. Aside from N. multifasciatus the only other Tanganykian cichlid really suited to a 29 would be Julidiochromis transcriptus, and NOT the Gombe variant.

Like I said best bet is a 'Lamprologus sp. Or a river cichlid like Kribs. There's a ton of great SA/CA dwarfs that would do great in a 29 if you rather go that route.

The 29 just doesn't have enough space to create territories and like Todd said there can be allot of conspecific aggression.

Back
Top Bottom