African Dwarf Frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

readmybreath

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking into starting a new tank with several African Dwarf Frogs and fish.

Does anyone know of some good fish that might go well with these frogs?

Also, do I need to cycle the tank before I add the frogs?

You should do a cycle without live animals for any kind of aquarium. Make sure you are looking at African Dwarf Frogs and not Clawed Frogs.

How large is the tank you are considering?

Dwarf Frogs will eat fish that they can get their hands on and if they are small enough. Neons might a good choice.

African Dwarf frogs should not be confused with African Clawed frogs. ACF's will eat fish and ADF's are too small to eat any fish. Most unaggressive community fish go well with ADF's. What size tank are you looking at? I recommend fishless cycling on all tanks before adding stock.

ADF's will not likely survive a cycle. They are more delicate. You will also need to be able to target feed them bloodworms as they have very bad eyes and won't be able to compete for food with fish.

theotheragentm said:
You should do a cycle without live animals for any kind of aquarium. Make sure you are looking at African Dwarf Frogs and not Clawed Frogs.

How large is the tank you are considering?

Dwarf Frogs will eat fish that they can get their hands on and if they are small enough. Neons might a good choice.

i'm considering either a 6g eclipse system tank, or a 10g glass. what is better glass or acrylic?

I would go for the 10 gal glass due to the fact that it is larger. ADF's will do fine in a 10 gal with a few small fish. I wouldn't put any fish into a 6 gal other than a betta.

I have two African Dwarf Frogs in only a 2 gal. B'c I was told they were timid and couldn't see well enough to compete for food with other fish. I avoided putting them into my 56 gal tropical community tank.

Back
Top Bottom