African/Niger River themed Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
mfdrookie mentioned Kribensis cichlids in another post, and after doing a little research, I'm kind of intersted in these guys.

I don't have a lot of experience with traditional planted tanks and was curious as to any particular types of aquatic plants available which may be endemic to the Niger River basin and their demands in terms of lighting. Appreciate any help anybody can give. Thanks in advance.

Ok, so just found an awesome site, so let me rephrase a bit ~ interested in plant types which do not get real tall, as I'd be looking at either a 20L, 30, or 40breeder aquarium.

Last edited:
Ok, so done a little research on my own . . . give me some input

Fish;
Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher); pairs ~ how many pairs possible in a well planted 40 breeder? How many should I start with to get them to pair up?

Upside Down Catfish (Synodontis nigriventris); small school ~ always a personal favorite of mine.

Debauwi Cat (Parentropius buffie); small school ~ suggestions on how many?

African tetra; not sure if these are endemic to the Niger river. Anybody familiar with a specific African tetra that is?

African Butterfly fish (Pantedon buchholzi); single or a pair?

Plants;
African Water fern (bolbitis heudeloti) - background plant, extending out of water

Anubias - aggressive grower?

Fill free to add in anything you're familiar with that might be of interest. Thanks

Oh nice. This sounds like a very cool idea. While I'm not familiar with most of what you've asked, I can say that kribs are just like rams or apistos in terms of aggression. Two pairs might be pushing it in a 3' tank, though I'm sure with some strategic plant placement, you'd be able to pull it off without issue. I am considering getting a pair for my 29. I do know that they are prolific breeders.... I often see them recommended as one of the easiest dwarf cichlids to breed. Anyhoo.... I'll be following along.

Oh nice. This sounds like a very cool idea. While I'm not familiar with most of what you've asked, I can say that kribs are just like rams or apistos in terms of aggression. Two pairs might be pushing it in a 3' tank, though I'm sure with some strategic plant placement, you'd be able to pull it off without issue. I am considering getting a pair for my 29. I do know that they are prolific breeders.... I often see them recommended as one of the easiest dwarf cichlids to breed. Anyhoo.... I'll be following along.

Thanks Jonathan, I'm not familiar with either of the other two cichlid types as well, as I've mainly raised the mbunas. Guess I've got some research to do. I did notice that you mentioned having the three bar glass cats in your 150. Thats the same fish as the Debauwi cat I believe. Based on your post which I was just reading, I assume they must be a little hard to come by?

I haven't been able to find them anywhere. There was a store that started up here in town early this year and the 'manager' wanted to get some awesome fish in that nobody else carried. It bit him in the rear, as nobody bought them because they didn't know what they were, and there aren't many serious hobbyists around here. The owner ended up getting accepted to medical school, so he closed shop. I was in there on his last day and he offered me an all or none deal. There were 50 some odd fish that he forced me to take. In there were some beautiful rainbows, clown loaches, a few tetras and barbs, and those catfish. I had no idea what they were until another member identified them. I've been looking for some ever since to fill out a nice big school (10-12 more?) but I haven't been able to find any.

Back
Top Bottom