Ahh! Power just went out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BlackMagic said:
Some ppl might go this way, keeping you fish alive is more important then paying for gas.
Some ppl have ton of tanks in their home with ton of fish.
If I was one of those ppl with 20+ tank ill rather use up gas.

A 20+ tank setup would need a generator not a car battery. You have to remember you're more important than your fish too, so be careful if you try the battery method. Cheap Inverters are 50-100$ for 400-500 watts. Check it out when you have time

shadowstars123 said:
A 20+ tank setup would need a generator not a car battery. You have to remember you're more important than your fish too, so be careful if you try the battery method. Cheap Inverters are 50-100$ for 400-500 watts. Check it out when you have time

Plus I would't sleep sound knowing my car is on in the garage and live wires running near water.

it'd still be a lot cheaper to get battery powered air pumps for the tanks unless you have a ton. Honestly though a portable generator is a better option, because if you are out of power for extended periods of time you are going to need power for other things not fish related.

jetajockey said:
it'd still be a lot cheaper to get battery powered air pumps for the tanks unless you have a ton. Honestly though a portable generator is a better option, because if you are out of power for extended periods of time you are going to need power for other things not fish related.

But you gotta remember Inverters and generators are also useful in other situations, so I'd think it's worth the money

for a generator yes, power inverter, probably not as much. Consider the investment as something that provides some power for other things too not fish related, which are more important in most cases.

Trust me I know about being out of power, hurricane ivan knocked our power out for over 3 weeks.

jetajockey said:
for a generator yes, power inverter, probably not as much. Consider the investment as something that provides some power for other things too not fish related, which are more important in most cases.

Trust me I know about being out of power, hurricane ivan knocked our power out for over 3 weeks.

Ouch. Did your fish make it?

i didnt have a big fish room back then, just a 40g and another small tank. They were fine without anything at all, although I'm sure they would've been happier with aeration.

The water in the tanks were being moved around by a bunch of box fans in the house going full blast since it was in the 90s the whole time.

siva said:
55 gal community - work in progress - albino rainbow shark

29 gal - 3 hillstream loaches, neon blue dwarf gourami, female CT betta, 6 julii corydoras, 4 panda corydoras, 6 Glo-fish, 2 CPO(dwarf cray), green shrimp, red cherry shrimp, purple apple snails, pink & blue ramshorn snails.

20 gal - male HM betta, 7 glowlight tetras, 4 dadios, 6 striped kuhli loaches, 2 pitbull plecos, 2 bamboo shrimp, 1 magenta apple snails

20 gal - 6 borneo redfin rasboras, will be home to 6 Gardneri killifish as well once they are big enough

20 gal - vampire crab paludarium

20 gal - electric blue lobster

14 gal - 2 HiFin variatus, 2 red wag platy, 1 bumble bee platy,blue pearl shrimp, horned nerites

14 gal - 7 fancy male guppies, 7 neon tetra

14 gal - 11 boraras brigittae, 4 scarlet badis, 2 corydoras hasbrosus(need more), 3 oto cats, thai micro crabs

14 gal brackish - 6 bumblebee gobies and 4 fiddlers

10 gal ADF species only tank

10 gal QT - currently a german blue and gold ram.

2 10 gal divided female betta tanks CT's and VT's

3 5 gals female bettas CT's and VT

3 5 gals male bettas VT, HM, and HMDT

5 gal gardneri killifish fry - soon to be home to CT male betta

2.5 gal crystal red shrimp

1.5 gal glow in the dark - ghost shrimp

1 gal sunkist shrimp

1 gal blackberry shrimp

+55 gal RES turtle tank

I'm fascinated by the varieties! If u have filter and heater for all of them I admire ur bill! Hahha and the amount of power sockets u need!!

I'm fascinated by the varieties! If u have filter and heater for all of them I admire ur bill! Hahha and the amount of power sockets u need!!

the only filter, heater i see will eat up power is his big 55g.

probly 100-300 a month on bills.

Well if your not able to get things like that at the time the power goes out. To keep the water warm you cab place plastic bags full off very hot water in your tank. Every now and again you will have to refill the bags to keep them warm. And just manually move the water around with a cup or something.

Ha this was a very long night for me but lucky 5 minutes ago at 3 am the power came back on!

when stuff out of the blue happen, where you run to for a generator?
I know ppl who house been just tore down by what just happen, Tree falling down hitting cars,house, you name it its damage. When stuff out of the blue happen the quick and best way is your car, pop the hood open and unplug the battery and use it for GOOD.

BlackMagic said:
when stuff out of the blue happen, where you run to for a generator?
I know ppl who house been just tore down by what just happen, Tree falling down hitting cars,house, you name it its damage. When stuff out of the blue happen the quick and best way is your car, pop the hood open and unplug the battery and use it for GOOD.

First, you might need a car, and that's what I meant, having a generator on hand is a benefit.

If you are really that concerned you might want to try getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) like they use for computers. That way, if you lose power your UPS will continue to power your filter and air pump or possibly even lights although I wouldnt recommend it since that would be a pretty big drain.

eco23 said:
Other than the blanket over the tank idea, do you guys know any tips to keep things going if the power is out for a day or more? Any battery powered ideas to keep the water moving and aerated?

You could add a battery powered air pump (which I believe others suggested) temporarily. I have two of them just in case I needed to move, but might try to use them if the power goes out.

One other thought, other than a generator, would be a backup UPS that is typically used for PCs. Granted, they only go for a max of one hour, but it could give you some prep time before it winds down. Just a thought.

Retired_AF said:
If you are really that concerned you might want to try getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) like they use for computers. That way, if you lose power your UPS will continue to power your filter and air pump or possibly even lights although I wouldnt recommend it since that would be a pretty big drain.

LOL, ooops, didn't see your post before I posted about UPS as an option.

:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom