Air pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so most of you know I plan to get a 12 gallon eclipse with sand substrate, live plants including 4-6 marimo balls and some other true aquatic plants, a 50 watt marineland stealth pro heater, 3 small albino Cory catfish, and a existing female betta I already own. My question is should I get a air pump. They're on sale at bigals plus I have a 10 percent off coupon and free shipping. So I plan to buy everything at once on bigals. So I was looking at the tetra whisper. Is it just quiet on the outside and produces strong currents, Water vibrations, etc. I do not at all mind a loud air pump I fact I have one thats loud and i find it soothing at night. Is it quiet to the fish too or is it just quiet on the outside? I want one that's silent on the inside. I don't care if it sounds like a train going by on the outside or if it sounds so silent you couldn't tell it's there as long as it's queit and doesn't disturb the fish on the inside. I want calm waters also because I'm going to have sand as I mentioned so I don't want it blowing the sand into the filter or digging up the plant roots. I don't mind if it kindle stirs it as that prevents aerobic pockets as long as it's not spraying the sand in the filter. And when I look at pictures it just has a tube? So do you just put the airline in the water or does it include like a I don't know what it's called I have it in my tank it's like a tower with a opening on the top that shoots out bubbles. Are there any down sides to the pump? Will it take away co2 from plants? Do plants even need c02? I'm not going to buy a co2 producer or anything. Are there any better pumps out there from bigals? Should I get the 10 or 20. I was thinking 10 so it's quieter and I don't need that much air at least I don't think. Thanks here's the link! Tetra Whisper 10 Air Pump - Air Equipment - Air Pumps at BigalsOnline. Or would something like a bubble wand or decoration that aerated better?

Never hurts to have one, I run them on my planted tanks under very low pressure so they barely bubble but enough to keep the o2 levels where they need to be while keeping my Co2 where it needs to be.

Yes plants need Co2, they all need it to survive, however your livestock might produce enough to get the plants by.

Air pumps are life savers. Also the air pump only compressed the room air and injects it into the water, this alone will bring very very minimal amounts of Co2 into the aquariums. Also the smaller the bubbles the better it dissolves in water, o2 or Co2 just the same.

Ok so I should get one correct? Does the tetra whisper air pump 10 look any good? I plan to get the 10 instead of 20 is that ok? And what err u saying about adjusting the pressure? Does mine have adjustable pressure? I'm not cutting holes in the tubing. Last question in the pictures I've seen it looks like you have to buy a separate ornament or decor or airstone? Is this correct or do you just stick the airline in the water? If it does require an additional decor to connect to should I get a bubble wand. Please explain what they are. I say them on bigals and they were cheap and I see them in videos and they look cool, should I get one?
Never hurts to have one, I run them on my planted tanks under very low pressure so they barely bubble but enough to keep the o2 levels where they need to be while keeping my Co2 where it needs to be.

Yes plants need Co2, they all need it to survive, however your livestock might produce enough to get the plants by.

Air pumps are life savers. Also the air pump only compressed the room air and injects it into the water, this alone will bring very very minimal amounts of Co2 into the aquariums. Also the smaller the bubbles the better it dissolves in water, o2 or Co2 just the same.

You'll get differing opinions on air pumps... I dont use one, I think they take away from the natural look of the tank. For some people, they like having them. Usually, you dont have to have one. If your filter is not producing enough surface agitation, then you'll need one or a powerhead to break the surface up allowing oxygen exchange.

IMO whispers are screamers. I only use pro style air pumps and mine are also battery equipped for power outages.

MFD is right, it does take away from the natural look.

So is there any way to have a air pump and still have the tank look natural? Im going for a natural look but a think a bubble wand in the back would look good what are your opinions on bubble wands?

I got one going in a tank due to lack of funds for a nice diffuser, I am growing in some ambulia around it to mask the bubble wall I really dont like the bubbles, in a planted, angel tank it looks like poo, I get enough surface break but the water lettuce settles in the front of the tank making it hard to feed the fish, with the bubbles on they stay to the sides and I can feed my fish in peace.

I got one going in a tank due to lack of funds for a nice diffuser, I am growing in some ambulia around it to mask the bubble wall I really dont like the bubbles, in a planted, angel tank it looks like poo, I get enough surface break but the water lettuce settles in the front of the tank making it hard to feed the fish, with the bubbles on they stay to the sides and I can feed my fish in peace.

Try using the Hagen Mini Elite internal power filter. It has an intake for an airhose which you just connect to your CO2:
Tiny super efficient CO2 reactor - DIY Aquarium Projects - Aquatic Plant Central

It's okay to have an airstone or two. It will keep the surface agitated and keep nasty bio0film from forming. I'd turn it off when you feed flake though, otherwise it gets mushed up and pollutes the water.

I dont have Co2 on that tank. it was a temp tank that turned into a pond snail ghetto(in the truest meaning of the word). My Co2 diffuser is a marineland 660 powerhead. it chops the bubbles reallly well.

Back
Top Bottom