Air Pump - type, attachments, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayladc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

Background:
I have a recently set up 55gallon aquarium. I only have two normal goldfish in the tank (Milena and Jethro). I used TetraSafeStart and have tested the water every day for seven days for pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite and it is still perfect. :)
I have two "up to" 45 gallon hang-on-back power filters that circulate "up to" 200 gallons per hour each.

However, my fish stay at the bottom of the tank (is this healthy?), and I feel there isn't enough air flow down there.
SO! I was wondering what I should do about an air pump. What type of pump should I get? How many GPH output? What kind of attachments? Etc.
Specifics without fancy jargon would be great, since I know nothing about air pumps/valves/all that jazz.

Also, should my fish be hanging out only on the bottom of the tank? This worries me, as I got the 55gallon so that they would have room to swim and grow and be happy. I'm afraid they're not happy. :-/

Thanks, all!

p.s. I plan on adding more "enrichment" to the tank, as it's currently pretty bare.

Attachments

• 20130628_161108.jpg
    20130628_161108.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 31
If you have any ideas or links for cool/exciting aquarium decorations to make my fish happy, I'd like to hear about/see those too!
I'm wary about buying fake coral with lots of holes, since they'll grow too big to swim through the holes.

Back
Top Bottom