Airpump or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coastiepowell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got one of those cute 1.5 gallon aquariums for my desk at work. I put a small (thumbsize) fantail goldfish in it. There are no other fish or plants - do I still need to get an air pump or will he be fine without it? Thanks!!

He would probably be fine, assuming you have some sort of filter in your tank agitating the water. I have a long bubble bar and pump in my tank, and have a "bubble curtain" look in the back of my tank that looks nice.

To add to that, your goldfish won't be thumbnail size for long. Fully grown, they can reach a size of 8", so it will need a bigger tank in the future. It's a common misonception that you should keep goldfish in bowls. Their growth gets stumped and that's not too healthy for the fish at all.

I hope I didn't discourage you. It's just that there are other fish out there that are better suited to a 1.5 gal.

Good luck!

Is it true that it is illegal to keep a goldfish in a bown in england? Something about the goldfish going blind? or is that just myth?

*edit*

I just looked on google. its actually the area of ROME that it is illegal, not england. 1 gallon bowls are illegal for fish keeping.

Goldfish should have 10 gallons per 3" of fish. They also need a cycled home. Hopefully you will do whats best and get this one a proper tank with filtration.

I would get a betta or sometype of small labrynth fish for the bowl. It sounds like you are not pumping oxygen into the water. This will eventually suffocate (sorry bout the spelling) the fish.

I wouldn't even put a betta in that small of a tank, but it's much better for a betta than for a goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom