airpump recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
for a 55 gallon community tank, xp3 filter, won't have plants to begin with but perhaps down the road I may move some in.
What do you guys recomment for an airpump?

That totally depends on what you want to hook up to it. Just a single bubble wall?

If you only want one outlet, I'd just spend $5.29 for a Hagen Elite 801. I don't think you can really get any cheaper than that going with a lesser brand.

The tank size recommendations on those are really pretty arbitrary. The water pressure isn't going to get too much for any decent one to pump unless you have an extremely deep tank. I have a pretty tall hex and I still had to put a valve on the airline to turn down my bubble wall and keep it from turning the tank into a washing machine.

My own preference for air pumps are the Rena series. They are a little more expensive than most but are quieter, very reliable and very easy to maintain when needed. If the air pump is going to be below the water level outside of the tank don't forget to also get a check valve. This will prevent water from being siphoned up the air line when the air pump isn't turned on (i.e. during a power outage).

I use tetratec pumps .. they are really silent.

Back
Top Bottom