Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dudeofrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grimsby, Uk
Posts: 1,128
airstone benefits??

I've got an airstone setup in my new tank but i rarely used it as the sound of the pump is very annoying. I'm just wondering if there are any actual benefits to having it on or is it purely for decoration?
__________________

__________________
dudeofrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Magikalgirl79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Windsor, ON, Canada
Posts: 98
The one I have in my tank is annoying too. I've recently been told by several people, on here and pet stores, that the water cutting through the surface water from your filter is enough to oxygenate the water. So I guess the air pump and air stones are for decoration. But I could be wrong, just repeating what I've been told hope I helped
__________________

__________________
~Magikalgirl79~
Magikalgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SwimsWithFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,660
Yeah that's what I've heard too. But I'm too scared to turn mine off.
__________________
''An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.''
-Ghandi

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
I think Magikalgirl is right; as long as you have a HOB or powerhead or some sort of filter that disturbs the surface of the water, that should create enough oxygen exchange for the fish. If you see your fish gasping at the surface that may be an indicator that you'd need more oxygen, otherwise you're probably fine without it.
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Magikalgirl79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Windsor, ON, Canada
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimsWithFish
Yeah that's what I've heard too. But I'm too scared to turn mine off.
Me too. I have one going in my 20 g but not my 10 g and the fish are fine. The 20g I bought used and the air pump came with it. But it's so old it won't attach to anything but the air stone it came with! I'm going to disconnect it and see if they even notice!
__________________
~Magikalgirl79~
Magikalgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,667
Air stones definitely have benefits. They do actively aerate, as well as create more flow.

Most new air pumps are quieter than the bubbles they create so if they are creating a lot of noise then either something needs to be replaced (like the diaphragm) or they are touching something. Mine is in the stand that is about eighteen inches from my bed and I can't hear it at all.

It is true that the surface agitation from your filter should provide adequate aeration, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better or that your filter will never stop running.
__________________
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scouser on tour, Scarborough UK
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl
I think Magikalgirl is right; as long as you have a HOB or powerhead or some sort of filter that disturbs the surface of the water, that should create enough oxygen exchange for the fish. If you see your fish gasping at the surface that may be an indicator that you'd need more oxygen, otherwise you're probably fine without it.
Well most juwel tanks have built in corner box filters that have an angled tube that you can adjust the direction.

Even with it pointed toward the surface you don't get more than rippling the surface.

I think that isn't sufficient from what I've read, any thought?
__________________
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SwimsWithFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
Air stones definitely have benefits. They do actively aerate, as well as create more flow.

Most new air pumps are quieter than the bubbles they create so if they are creating a lot of noise then either something needs to be replaced (like the diaphragm) or they are touching something. Mine is in the stand that is about eighteen inches from my bed and I can't hear it at all.

It is true that the surface agitation from your filter should provide adequate aeration, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better or that your filter will never stop running.
If you don't mind me asking, what pump are you running?
__________________
''An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.''
-Ghandi

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jcolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Air stones definitely have benefits. They do actively aerate, as well as create more flow.

Most new air pumps are quieter than the bubbles they create so if they are creating a lot of noise then either something needs to be replaced (like the diaphragm) or they are touching something. Mine is in the stand that is about eighteen inches from my bed and I can't hear it at all.

It is true that the surface agitation from your filter should provide adequate aeration, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better or that your filter will never stop running.
+1 with Fishguy2727.

This issue has been discussed a few times and is open to a lot of debate .. strictly decorative vs serving a function.

My two cents worth ... filters can fail at the worst possible time .. i.e. your on a long weekend trip. Air-stone / pumps in those cases is your backup to at least keep oxygen exchange going.
__________________
75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,667
I use Azoo 9500s. They are $21 or so on drsfostersmith when not on sale. They are silent, provide a lot of air, and last a long time.

I have seen many tanks saved over and over because they had an air pump and for one reason or another the filter stopped working (impeller breaks, cichlids spit sand into intake, motor wears out, etc.). And I also seen tanks lose fish in as little as a couple hours when the same thing happened but they didn't have an air pump.
__________________
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
HAVAMAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: St Charles MO
Posts: 272
Me personally, I like using the airstones, my fish seem much healthier than they did before, but it's up to you?
__________________
I DON'T KEEP FISH I KEEP WATER THE FISH TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES!
HAVAMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Magikalgirl79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Windsor, ON, Canada
Posts: 98
Good to know! I think I might get one for my 10 g now as I will be taking a trip next month and I would be so upset if anything happened to my fish!
__________________
~Magikalgirl79~
Magikalgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SwimsWithFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
I use Azoo 9500s. They are $21 or so on drsfostersmith when not on sale. They are silent, provide a lot of air, and last a long time.

I have seen many tanks saved over and over because they had an air pump and for one reason or another the filter stopped working (impeller breaks, cichlids spit sand into intake, motor wears out, etc.). And I also seen tanks lose fish in as little as a couple hours when the same thing happened but they didn't have an air pump.
Thanks! I'll look into it.
__________________
''An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.''
-Ghandi

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
epiphysis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Centurion, South Africa
Posts: 225
I've bought an airstone and pump when I got all my stuff when I started. Up till now its still in the box. I have a spray bar on one of my filters that's pointed down causing a waterfall-effect. It creates so many micro-bubbles I don't see any use for an airstone as well.
__________________
epiphysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dudeofrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grimsby, Uk
Posts: 1,128
Well thanks for all the input guys. I've had it running today and my fish do seem a lot more playful. The corys are chasing eachother and the neons are 'racing'. As for the airation of the water, i have a fluval u4 with has a built in airator so will it be ok if i run the air pump aswell? Is there such a thing as to much oxygen in the water?
__________________
dudeofrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SWINDON
Posts: 49
personaly id never have my tanks without an air stone if nothing else the fish realy seem to enjoy swimming through it and using it to blast them to the surface lol

anyway if u find that its realy loud and its keeping u up at night why not put it on the timer along with ur lighting??

having it on 12 hours a day is a reasonable compromise


one of my tanks has a 3d wall on the back so the air stone was built into the bottom of it so the bubbles curve and bouce up all the diffrent ledges so it looks awsome
__________________
lilbenchy9192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeofrude View Post
Well thanks for all the input guys. I've had it running today and my fish do seem a lot more playful. The corys are chasing eachother and the neons are 'racing'. As for the airation of the water, i have a fluval u4 with has a built in airator so will it be ok if i run the air pump aswell? Is there such a thing as to much oxygen in the water?
I have a Fluval U2 and I also run an air stone.
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
HAVAMAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: St Charles MO
Posts: 272
Your answer to your question is with an airstone you will never put to much oxygen into your tank so you're fine.
__________________
I DON'T KEEP FISH I KEEP WATER THE FISH TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES!
HAVAMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishboy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Posts: 365
Well from my experience .... It does help... One time my girlfriend and I was away from my tank for one night to sleep by a friend.... When I left my air pump was on..her mother decide to vacum her room and somehow disconnected the tubing from the pump... When I came home my fish were nearly dead.... I had to put the tube back on the pump asap!!! They would have died otherwise.... I have a fluval 405 and an aqueon 55.... I guess they were not enough to oxygenate the water
__________________
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jcolon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 3,470
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy87 View Post
Well from my experience .... It does help... One time my girlfriend and I was away from my tank for one night to sleep by a friend.... When I left my air pump was on..her mother decide to vacum her room and somehow disconnected the tubing from the pump... When I came home my fish were nearly dead.... I had to put the tube back on the pump asap!!! They would have died otherwise.... I have a fluval 405 and an aqueon 55.... I guess they were not enough to oxygenate the water
This is one of those "you never know" reasons of what can go wrong. Oxygen exchange is all about surface area and agitating the surface just serves to increase it. For many of us, it's not just the stock that needs oxygen, the Beneficial Bacteria need it as well as plants.

The problem with canisters is often the output nozzle is well below the water line to agitate. With HOB's if your water level is high enough, the water cascading over doesn't fall far enough ripple the surface.
__________________

__________________
75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
airstone, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
airstone strip crittergal Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 10-03-2011 02:02 AM
Burried airstone? 40galreef General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 14 09-25-2011 09:38 PM
Post your airstone pics 40galreef General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 09-24-2011 01:19 PM
Do I need an airstone in my five gallon tank? maxwellag Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 08-26-2011 02:56 AM
co2 wood airstone question JavaMoss Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 0 06-25-2011 04:02 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.