airstone benefits??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got an airstone setup in my new tank but i rarely used it as the sound of the pump is very annoying. I'm just wondering if there are any actual benefits to having it on or is it purely for decoration?

The one I have in my tank is annoying too. I've recently been told by several people, on here and pet stores, that the water cutting through the surface water from your filter is enough to oxygenate the water. So I guess the air pump and air stones are for decoration. But I could be wrong, just repeating what I've been told ;) hope I helped

I think Magikalgirl is right; as long as you have a HOB or powerhead or some sort of filter that disturbs the surface of the water, that should create enough oxygen exchange for the fish. If you see your fish gasping at the surface that may be an indicator that you'd need more oxygen, otherwise you're probably fine without it.

SwimsWithFish said:
Yeah that's what I've heard too. But I'm too scared to turn mine off.

Me too. I have one going in my 20 g but not my 10 g and the fish are fine. The 20g I bought used and the air pump came with it. But it's so old it won't attach to anything but the air stone it came with! I'm going to disconnect it and see if they even notice!

Air stones definitely have benefits. They do actively aerate, as well as create more flow.

Most new air pumps are quieter than the bubbles they create so if they are creating a lot of noise then either something needs to be replaced (like the diaphragm) or they are touching something. Mine is in the stand that is about eighteen inches from my bed and I can't hear it at all.

It is true that the surface agitation from your filter should provide adequate aeration, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better or that your filter will never stop running.

librarygirl said:
I think Magikalgirl is right; as long as you have a HOB or powerhead or some sort of filter that disturbs the surface of the water, that should create enough oxygen exchange for the fish. If you see your fish gasping at the surface that may be an indicator that you'd need more oxygen, otherwise you're probably fine without it.

Well most juwel tanks have built in corner box filters that have an angled tube that you can adjust the direction.

Even with it pointed toward the surface you don't get more than rippling the surface.

I think that isn't sufficient from what I've read, any thought? :)

Fishguy2727 said:
Air stones definitely have benefits. They do actively aerate, as well as create more flow.

Most new air pumps are quieter than the bubbles they create so if they are creating a lot of noise then either something needs to be replaced (like the diaphragm) or they are touching something. Mine is in the stand that is about eighteen inches from my bed and I can't hear it at all.

It is true that the surface agitation from your filter should provide adequate aeration, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better or that your filter will never stop running.

If you don't mind me asking, what pump are you running?

+1 with Fishguy2727.

This issue has been discussed a few times and is open to a lot of debate .. strictly decorative vs serving a function.

My two cents worth ... filters can fail at the worst possible time .. i.e. your on a long weekend trip. Air-stone / pumps in those cases is your backup to at least keep oxygen exchange going.

I use Azoo 9500s. They are $21 or so on drsfostersmith when not on sale. They are silent, provide a lot of air, and last a long time.

I have seen many tanks saved over and over because they had an air pump and for one reason or another the filter stopped working (impeller breaks, cichlids spit sand into intake, motor wears out, etc.). And I also seen tanks lose fish in as little as a couple hours when the same thing happened but they didn't have an air pump.

Me personally, I like using the airstones, my fish seem much healthier than they did before, but it's up to you?

Good to know! I think I might get one for my 10 g now as I will be taking a trip next month and I would be so upset if anything happened to my fish!

Fishguy2727 said:
I use Azoo 9500s. They are $21 or so on drsfostersmith when not on sale. They are silent, provide a lot of air, and last a long time.

I have seen many tanks saved over and over because they had an air pump and for one reason or another the filter stopped working (impeller breaks, cichlids spit sand into intake, motor wears out, etc.). And I also seen tanks lose fish in as little as a couple hours when the same thing happened but they didn't have an air pump.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

I've bought an airstone and pump when I got all my stuff when I started. Up till now its still in the box. I have a spray bar on one of my filters that's pointed down causing a waterfall-effect. It creates so many micro-bubbles I don't see any use for an airstone as well.

Well thanks for all the input guys. I've had it running today and my fish do seem a lot more playful. The corys are chasing eachother and the neons are 'racing'. As for the airation of the water, i have a fluval u4 with has a built in airator so will it be ok if i run the air pump aswell? Is there such a thing as to much oxygen in the water?

personaly id never have my tanks without an air stone if nothing else the fish realy seem to enjoy swimming through it and using it to blast them to the surface lol

anyway if u find that its realy loud and its keeping u up at night why not put it on the timer along with ur lighting??

having it on 12 hours a day is a reasonable compromise :)

one of my tanks has a 3d wall on the back so the air stone was built into the bottom of it so the bubbles curve and bouce up all the diffrent ledges so it looks awsome

Well thanks for all the input guys. I've had it running today and my fish do seem a lot more playful. The corys are chasing eachother and the neons are 'racing'. As for the airation of the water, i have a fluval u4 with has a built in airator so will it be ok if i run the air pump aswell? Is there such a thing as to much oxygen in the water?

I have a Fluval U2 and I also run an air stone.

Your answer to your question is with an airstone you will never put to much oxygen into your tank so you're fine.

Well from my experience .... It does help... One time my girlfriend and I was away from my tank for one night to sleep by a friend.... When I left my air pump was on..her mother decide to vacum her room and somehow disconnected the tubing from the pump... When I came home my fish were nearly dead.... I had to put the tube back on the pump asap!!! They would have died otherwise.... I have a fluval 405 and an aqueon 55.... I guess they were not enough to oxygenate the water

Well from my experience .... It does help... One time my girlfriend and I was away from my tank for one night to sleep by a friend.... When I left my air pump was on..her mother decide to vacum her room and somehow disconnected the tubing from the pump... When I came home my fish were nearly dead.... I had to put the tube back on the pump asap!!! They would have died otherwise.... I have a fluval 405 and an aqueon 55.... I guess they were not enough to oxygenate the water

This is one of those "you never know" reasons of what can go wrong. Oxygen exchange is all about surface area and agitating the surface just serves to increase it. For many of us, it's not just the stock that needs oxygen, the Beneficial Bacteria need it as well as plants.

The problem with canisters is often the output nozzle is well below the water line to agitate. With HOB's if your water level is high enough, the water cascading over doesn't fall far enough ripple the surface.

Back
Top Bottom