Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What kind of algae is this and how do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• image-1755451951.jpg
    image-1755451951.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1387855558.jpg
    image-1387855558.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 132
Thanks Eco. I hope I can get rid of that algae. I will soak plant in a 20 to 1 water/bleach solution. I have some on my active sponge - don't know how to get rid of that. I am trying some Excell.

I have something similar growing on my sponge too, and on my decor (not as much as yours yet, but little sprouts are forming and coming up). Not sure how to get rid of it either. Do any algae eaters eat those? I'll have to take a look at Eco's link and see....It's pretty unsightly, isn't it?

I have heard the American Flag Fish is good for eating algae. I have been using Excel just recently and the BBA is turning red. I am going to Petsmart today to get a test for phosphates, as high levels can cause algae - maybe get a phosphate reducer.

Well, they don't have a phosphate tester so I'll probably have to buy online.

if it is hair algae i can highly recommend sailfin mollys if you want a natural and organic way to rid yourself of this problem. i had the same thing on a bunch of my plants and after about 2 weeks the mollys(2) ate everything and are keeping it in check now. much better than chemicals imo and the sailfin mollys are beautiful!

The phosphate test is probably not worth the money. Change water, reduce light and the algae should stay under control.

That looks like BBA. The H2o2 method works well, direct application of excel or PP works also. If you don't want to disturb the plants then either lower the water level to where you can spray some h2o2 or excel directly on the algae, or trim affected leaves.

Hair algae comes off with a little bit of friction but BBA is a beast to remove.

How much h2o2 should I add to my 20 gallon planted tank with shrimp, fish and snails. And how often? I don't want to spot treat.

Back
Top Bottom