Algae Beginning to Appear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFish1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 2 month old freshwater non planted 28 gallon is beginning to show signs of completing the cycle but I am now beginning to see algae growth on the plants. As I posted in another thread I've been keeping up with water changes and checking water parameters.

Someone at PetsMart tried to sell me one of those "rocks" that grow green stuff as an aid to controlling algae growth. I told him no and that I wanted to do some research on it first. So, I'm asking: Anyone know anything about these funny looking green rocks?

So, if these rocks are a hoax, what is the best way to prevent algae growth?

Thanks. This forum has been a tremendous help in getting my new hobby up and running. I feel like I can tackle most any problem I may have with my tank should it arise just by posting it on this forum!

Mike

What kind of algae are you seeing? Is it brown? Green? Hair-like? More info or pics can help pinpoint what type it is first. How long do you keep lights on each day? I've never heard of algae rocks.

What kind of algae are you seeing? Is it brown? Green? Hair-like? More info or pics can help pinpoint what type it is first. How long do you keep lights on each day? I've never heard of algae rocks.

I've never heard of or seen these "rocks" anywhere else except PetsMart so I'm guessing it's a hoax! lol :) !!!!

The algae is greenish-brown and is growing in little spots on some of my artificial plants. It is not hair-like! I have Marineland's LED lighting and up until tonight the lights have been on for about 8 hours a day.

Thanks!

I'm guessing the "green rocks" are these new "plants' that PetSmart is selling that comes in the same cups as their bettas. It's actually not a plant nor a rock. It is a form of algae that grows in a round shape.

But as I understand it, the idea behind having plants in the tank is that they absorbe some of the nitrates (fertilizer) denying them to the algae to use.

But those "green rocks" grow slowly according to the research I read. It seems to me that implies it wouldn't absorb much of the nitrates.

I noticed you specifically said you are see algae ON the plants. That's been one of my problems with ever trying to grow anuba. The leaves get algae on them and the plant simply dies. I've had great experience with Water Sprite in my tank. Basically it grows so fast that the algae can't keep up with it. As older growth starts to get algae and dying, you just cut that part of the plant out while the new growth keeps going.

IME some algae is normal for new tanks. I have a brownish algae growing on my artificial plants in one of my tanks. I don't dose any chemicals to treat it, I simply scrape it off the glass and leave it alone on the plants and decor. My mollies love it, and from what I've read, it should go away on its own if the issue isn't too much lighting. My tank is in my classroom and on most days the light is on about 8 hours Mon - Fri and off on weekends.

I purposely grow the stuff!! It keeps my Otos fat & happy.....(y) I just use a MagFloat to keep my glass clean.

Does it appear to be living, or is it one of those things in a package? I've seen those packaged things at Petsmart. The texture looks like a rock. No clue if they work. Seems like a waste of money when there are other algae solutions that are either entertaining or free.

I have two of those moss balls. I've seen them at other stores. They're fun. Mine have noticeably grown. I've had them for a month. Once they get big enough, you can split them. Some people put clusters together that look like a thick layer of moss. They haven't seemed to have caused any harm to my tank. Works for me. Another "ornament" to the tank (like the clown fish sculpture I got for my daughter as she wants a "Nemo." The rest of my tank looks pretty natural other than the sculpture, which is small enough to not look garish).

If the algae doesn't seem too overwhelming, you can always take sponge to the fake plants (gently) and the glass. If you have gravel, you can vacuum a lot of it up. Snails work, too. My fish have been pecking away at it As long as my water doesn't get cloudy and it doesn't kill my plants, I don't particularly care. Part of the circle of life and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom