Algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1821

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
Im relatively new to this have had my tank for about 6 months. I was wondering what the most hardy algae eating fish there are? I have a 50 litre tank so dont want anything too big. Currently just have 2, 4 month old glowlight tetras. Have a bit of a problem with green algae despite using the products designed to help prevent it! So was hoping to get some algae eaters to help keep it under control.

Many thanks :)

Sent from my LG-V500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi all,
Im relatively new to this have had my tank for about 6 months. I was wondering what the most hardy algae eating fish there are? I have a 50 litre tank so dont want anything too big. Currently just have 2, 4 month old glowlight tetras. Have a bit of a problem with green algae despite using the products designed to help prevent it! So was hoping to get some algae eaters to help keep it under control.

Many thanks :)

Sent from my LG-V500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think snails can go in any sized tank, preferably ramshorns and nerites as they are good at cleaning up algae. They don't get really big either. You could get Amano shrimp which I have read can really help with the algae problem. They get 3.5-5 cm and will only avoid BG algae and green spot algae. You should get at least three of them. You can also get Otocinclus catfish. The are very small algae eaters.

Or you could just get an algae magnet... Algae eaters are actually for the most part very messy unless you get an otto cat. Bristle nose is too big for what you have along with most pleco's (scientific name for algae eaters)

Back
Top Bottom