Algea! Algea everywhere!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Balashark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well my 90 gallon aquarium has been running with fish in it for 2 weeks. Everything was great until...... ALGEA! it just popped out of nowhere overnight! I ts the thread algea and i have many algea eaters, but they all hide in the decor! At first this wasnt bad, but now you can see the slge floating in the tank!

Can you post a pic? Real plants or fake? Is there sufficient circulation in the aquarium? Is the tank near sunlight? What lights do you have on the tank and how long are they on every day? What's your water change schedule?

Also you mention your fish are hiding (some might be nocturnal though) and it's a new tank: did you cycle it prior to adding fish? Have you tested parameters (ammonia, etc)? Here are some links if you haven't seen them yet:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Fake plants, i need a circulator, i did all tests and even took a sample of the water to a petshop and they said everything was fine except for the algea, the fish that hide just lay on a piece if drift wood. Day and night. Ive tried a 10% water change, that helped alittle, but its still there. And ive also taken out the decorations so they cant hide any where ( thats what petsmart said to do) they also said algea controll was a bad idea.

And its not in sunlight. Its also been cycled

What filter is on the tank? A 90 gal is a good size; it's possible there are dead spots where water is stagnant and allowing algae to form. Even algae eaters won't eat every type of algae; apparently hair algae isn't one of them :) I'd try a larger water change than 10%; if a small water change helped some then a larger one might help more and water changes are never a bad thing (just don't forget dechlorinator). I don't know what lights you have or how long you have them on but you could try reducing the amount of time the lights are on. During the water change take out the decor that has algae on it and scrub it in old tank water to try to remove what's there. I don't' agree with PetSmart that removing decor will do anything; the decor isn't the reason for the algae and your fish could be stressed without enough places to hide. Also it's good to at least have them write down the results of the water tests; they often say it's "fine" when it isn't and if they use strips the results can be inaccurate. Getting your own liquid kit is always a good idea too. Just to be sure.....how did you cycle the tank prior to getting fish? If you just let the tank run like the people at the store said then it isn't cycled (sorry, just being thorough :)).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom