All set up, what next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VariableEnigma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have my whole tank set up, but I still haven't decided if I want to go with a shoal of tetras or a few blue rams. (Any suggestions?)

I have a 20L, gravel, a hood with flourescent light, a heater, and a biowheel filter. What do I do next? I was thinking if I go with the tetras, I could introduce 3 or 4 and let the cycle start that way, but if I were to go with the rams, I would want to cycle without fish first. How do I get that started?

I have a tank that's cycled, but it's not an "aquarium", the water, substrate, decorations, plants, and fish all came from a local pond. Still, I do have the "mucky stuff" from the filter..

Thats 5 U.S gal (I think). There aren't many fish you can put in a 5 gal and you probably shouldn't add any fish. Its just too small. All I can think of is a betta.

Oh...did you mean 20 long? You shouldn't use anything from a pond unless you have gone through alot of procedures to make it aquarium safe. Look at the fishless cycle in the articles area. As for fish blue rams are nice, but don't seem very hardy unless you know what you're doing and have researched them. I find bolivian rams to be hardier.

Yes, 20 long. I didn't think using stuff from my pond aquarium would be a good idea. (I'm a bit of a biologist, and I'm much more accustomed to the pond thing than the sterile aquarium thing, but I do know they shouldn't mix.)

Thanks for your input :)

Back
Top Bottom