Am I cycling correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OH COME ON! So now I gotta go back to Ace Hardware. My Mom won't be happy. But the ammonia they were selling said "danger of poisons and burns keep away from eyes and mouth." that really turned me off. Will that stuff kill my fish if it can burn skin and damage eyes or whatever? If not I will go back and grab so of that ammonia. How much do you suggest I add to the tank? I don't really know how to do a fishless cycle. Librarygirl, I know you have an article on cycling in your signature I will read that

The ammonia I used is the Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength ammonia:

Ace® Ammonia - 15 Pack - Industrial Cleaners - Ace Hardware

It cost about $3 for each bottle. This is used for the fishless cycle only.

Here's a calculator for ammonia (it's about halfway down the page):

Fishkeeping - Fishless Tank Cycling and Avoiding New Tank Syndrome - General Guides - Articles

Fishless cycle info:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

It will if you put in way too much, but you are fishless cycling right? So the fish won't be anywhere near it.

If you're fish in cycling then don't use any ammonia, the fish will create enough to start the cycle just remember to test and change water regularly.

I found some other ammonia. It said clear ammonia on the title. Clear means 100% ammonia, right? Or at least good for cycling. Will it do? The "danger of poison" thing on the other ammonia really has me worried.

The warnings are normal; ammonia is potent stuff. Double-check the label and make sure it doesn't say anything about surfectants, dyes or perfumes. Also shake the bottle; if there's foam, don't use it.

Did you see my reply from earlier about the Angels Plus filter? That may be the way to go rather than fishless cycling since you already have the fish.

Bettafanatic said:
I found some other ammonia. It said clear ammonia on the title. Clear means 100% ammonia, right? Or at least good for cycling. Will it do? The "danger of poison" thing on the other ammonia really has me worried.

Probably not 100%

But it will be around 10-20% ammo and the rest is distilled water so it's basically clear ammonia.

Ok. I'll go back to the store and check the bottle to see if it has any perfumes or bad stuff. I'll start cycling as soon as I have it. Thanks for the advice, everyone! My Betta will be fine for now. Since the tank he's in is so small, I'll do water changes every five days or so. When his tank is ready, I'm sure he'll be happy

You really need to get yourself a test kit. The API is the best one around, it's what most of us use. They can be had on amazon for $20.

I have two betas, both are in a 5 gallon tank each, with a HOB filter and a heater.

That's another thing to consider, Beta's really like the heat... so the water should be around 80 degrees. If you have no heater and it's dropping to low 70's that's just to cold.... the temperature fluctuations won't be healthy.

Ok. I'll go back to the store and check the bottle to see if it has any perfumes or bad stuff. I'll start cycling as soon as I have it. Thanks for the advice, everyone! My Betta will be fine for now. Since the tank he's in is so small, I'll do water changes every five days or so. When his tank is ready, I'm sure he'll be happy

Smaller tanks means faster increase in ammonia and toxins in the water. I'd do a water change every day until your other tank cycles. I still advocate getting a seeded filter and putting the betta in the larger tank. If you want to fishless cycle the larger tank then that's fine, but I'd highly suggest daily water changes for that Betta in a 1 gal tank; toxins are going to build up quickly and 5 days is too long between water changes in a tank that small.

You really need to get yourself a test kit. The API is the best one around, it's what most of us use. They can be had on amazon for $20.

I have two betas, both are in a 5 gallon tank each, with a HOB filter and a heater.

That's another thing to consider, Beta's really like the heat... so the water should be around 80 degrees. If you have no heater and it's dropping to low 70's that's just to cold.... the temperature fluctuations won't be healthy.

I have a test kit! It's API Master Kit. I will get a heater but the lightbulb in the tank really heats up the water so is it necessary?

Smaller tanks means faster increase in ammonia and toxins in the water. I'd do a water change every day until your other tank cycles. I still advocate getting a seeded filter and putting the betta in the larger tank. If you want to fishless cycle the larger tank then that's fine, but I'd highly suggest daily water changes for that Betta in a 1 gal tank; toxins are going to build up quickly and 5 days is too long between water changes in a tank that small.

All right I will do them more often. And how often do you oi suggest I do water changes in the 2.5 tanks? I thought about 50% once a week

Well I change 10-20% in my (small) 17g which helps bring levels into safe params.

With such a small amount of water your levels will change drastically and fast, a Betta (not an extremely messy fish) will still build up a lethal level of ammonia in a week.

I'd do 30% bi weekly but keep up a vigilant testing routine.

I know you will buy every reminder helps :)

Good luck

Alright then. Anything for my precious bettas! I'll do water changes wednesdays and the weekend because thats when im free all the time. thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom