amazon planted vs african cichlid, which is better for a newbie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nenuphar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am (completely) new to aquarium keeping and I am considering the following two options. They would basically be already established aquarium from craigslist, although fish will get shocked by the move. Which one would be easiest to maintain for a newbie? My husband and I are willing to put in the time, but we don't want anything too difficult to start with. What are the pros and cons?

1) 75 gallon aquarium (wood grain) - complete set-up (fish included). Wood stand with storage compartment; two double tube flourescent light bars; whisper out of tank filter, under gravel filter, pump; thermostatically controlled heater.
Live plants
Fish: School of sword tails (at least 10); school of golden barbs (approximately 9?); several neon tetras, several kuhli loaches; 4 dwarf gourami; 3 harlequin rasbora; 2 pencil fish; 1 plecostomus; algae eating shrimp.
2) Complete 125 gallon aquarium currently operating and houses approx. 20-30 african cichlids. Over 100 lbs of specialty cichlid substrate, fluval fx-5 cannister filter, hood, lights, custom spraybar, rocks, bubblers, 2 pro 300 watt unbreakable heaters and some extras underneath in storage. Tank has black trim and stand is black also. About a year old and is in excellent condition, like new.

The owner of #1 sounds experienced and said he would help move the aquarium and will be happy to provide support at a later date, in case I have questions or problems with the aquarium. I have not talked to the owner of #2 yet.

Thanks for any suggestion!

I will always recommend going big as you can afford. Both 75 and 125g tanks are both great tanks.

If I had to pick I would go 125, 10 times out of ten. The larger tank obviously opens more options as to what you stock can be. And offers more room for fish to swim/claim territory.

The fx5 filter on the 125 is far better then whatever filtration that the 75 offers as well.

And really I'd buy a tank off CL and disregard the fish. Just because they sell a tank "with" them does not mean I have to "want" them.

Good luck on your decision like I said both are great tanks and offer tons of stocking options.

I am a current cichlid owner and I'd have to say the 125 as well. Many reasons. As stated above, the bigger the better. Also the filtration to me is better in the 125 vs the 75. I've never cared for under gravel filters. Plus, cichlids have an awesome personality and depending on the current stock in that tank, you'll get your money back just in fish.

My vote: 125g cichlid set up

Thank you for the replies! The size of the 125 gallon tank was daunting to me, especially thinking that each water change would be 25 gallons or so. I will check the structure of the floor of my house and see if I can house it.

FYI you don't always need to do a 25% water change. I perform a water change once a month on my tanks and they're fine. Granted mine are only 55g tanks but I did have a 125 once. Loved it and it was very low maintenance.

Yeah you only need to do a big enough WC to lower the nitrates to a safe lv. Might be more or less then 25%. It comes down to plants/stock/bio loads. And having all that BB in the fx5 I doubt you will need weekly wc's as well. More likely every 2.

Thanks

This is a long overdue update. I went with the 125g and it's great. The maintenance is very easy - except for cleaning the filter but that only happens every other month! Thank you for your advice!

... and I am trying to figure out how to attach pics.

Attachments

• DSC00938.jpg
    DSC00938.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00940.jpg
    DSC00940.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom