Ammo lock trouble. High ammonia readings. help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zeolite study, test removal TAN. Page 4. 100% (breakthrough) after 33 hrs.

http://www.wasteminz.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/TREATMENT-OF-LANDFILL-LEAHCATE-USING-ZEOLITE.pdf

Toxic NH3 ammonia can be remove or detoxified by products such as Prime, Ammo Lock, or Amquel but this is a short term solution to proper bio filtration.

Copied from,

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle | Cycling Methods | Ammonia & Nitrates

Ammonia calculator

Nitrogen-Ion Conversion Chart

Zeolite vs heavy metals study (mind bending chemistry)

http://www.yourncdinfo.com/clinoptilolite-heavy-metal-cations-removal.pdf

Zeolite data sheet

http://www.zeolite-products.com/ktml2/files/uploads/msds.pdf

I have so many studies on the go I just don't want to get in to this too. Of course I'm going to have to!

I'm not a man of science!

Some of these papers would take me a day to decode. Which would lead me to more papers explaining the paper. (Mind bending science) I am struggling to learn, it's about the only thing I've applied myself to post GCSE (do they still call them that?)

I Bunked, skunked and flunked, my school years!

The answers though are quite clear, at least to me. I'll admit though that most of this stuff I really struggle with but repetition makes it sink in! Right at the start of my Fishkeeping expedition the pH/gh/Kh took about 3-6 months to make any kind of sense to me, some of you may just read this and go, ok that's that, move on but phew, I use my hands not my head.

Why did I bother? Well the LFS couldn't make up its mind up on some things so I thought I'd better find out for myself. I would say I'm dedicated to it now, even though by science standards I am a rookie/noob/T boy etc.

(I don't wear the lab coats, I collect them for the cleaners!):ROFLMAO:

I'm not a man of science!

Some of these papers would take me a day to decode. Which would lead me to more papers explaining the paper. (Mind bending science) I am struggling to learn, it's about the only thing I've applied myself to post GCSE (do they still call them that?)

I Bunked, skunked and flunked, my school years!

The answers though are quite clear, at least to me. I'll admit though that most of this stuff I really struggle with but repetition makes it sink in! Right at the start of my Fishkeeping expedition the pH/gh/Kh took about 3-6 months to make any kind of sense to me, some of you may just read this and go, ok that's that, move on but phew, I use my hands not my head.

Why did I bother? Well the LFS couldn't make up its mind up on some things so I thought I'd better find out for myself. I would say I'm dedicated to it now, even though by science standards I am a rookie/noob/T boy etc.

(I don't wear the lab coats, I collect them for the cleaners!):ROFLMAO:

Neither am I but I have this thing inside me that just has to understand or try to at least. Most of the stuff I read you would have had to have studied science day in day out to even begin to understand.

I have posted a question in the aquaria off topic section. Maybe you could help. I will be starting a thread with regards to nitrite toxicity towards fish in our aquariums too later if you care to drop in.

I have posted a question in the aquaria off topic section. Maybe you could help. I will be starting a thread with regards to nitrite toxicity towards fish in our aquariums too later if you care to drop in.

Yes, I know of a better chap though, aqua_chem. it's just the job for him.

Yes, I know of a better chap though, aqua_chem. it's just the job for him.

Is that our Bill Nye? He knows a lot. He helped a lot with our last thread.

I'm just like Caliban, I must understand if at all possible.

I'll have to do more research on zeolite. I understand the basics of how it works, I just want to understand if it deliberately takes on the "bad" ammonia first, or if it just takes on any and all ammonia. This would make a difference for its effectiveness as an emergency life-saving too, such as in this case where measures must be taken to protect the fish.

--> off to find Caliban's new science threads
edit: I see you haven't started them yet, PM me when you do!
I have been tentatively studying TDS and osmotic pressure lately so I'll have to chime in on that one, although I haven't gotten very far yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom