Ammonia!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so, all the ammonia available in my local stores have surfacants, i hear that's a detergent, and i'm taking a wild, blind shot in the dark here and saying that's no bueno for the fish :rolleyes:

but i've been adding fish food daily and i've read that's just as good....

is that alright to keep going as is orrrrr...???

If you have a local Ace Hardware, buy it from there. At my local Ace I got a 32oz bottle for $2.50. It was the only place I could find 100% pure ammonia.

i do have ammonia present though, in the 0.25-0.50 range, according the the test

You can use fish food. However is it wildly in accurate and hard to predict the correct dosage. Your cycle will be much easier if you can control the dosage lvl. do you have an ace hardware close by?

You can use fish food. However is it wildly in accurate and hard to predict the correct dosage. Your cycle will be much easier if you can control the dosage lvl. do you have an ace hardware close by?

yepyep, just found one through google, it's a ways off from were i live, but i plan on going tomorrow :)

yepyep, just found one through google, it's a ways off from were i live, but i plan on going tomorrow :)

Woot! Now the ammonia from ace says 100% ammonia but 100% is very powerful! So powerful that its not sold at full strength from what I learned after looking online. If you read the bottle you will learn that it's 10% ammonia the rest is water. I say this because if you use the calculator that online. Sry don't have the link on my phone but it will ask you the percent of mixture. If you enter it wrong you will get the incorrect dosage. So be careful.

Here is the link for the ammonia calculator.

Calculator

Make sure you set everything correctly. For volume, make sure you use the actual gallon amount of water in your tank, not how many gallons it will hold without sand/rocks/decor/etc. For example, my 5.5 only holds 4 gallons of water after everything gets put into it.

Put 4-5 in the box for desired level of ammonia and 10 for the % of solution if you got yours from Ace.

Here is the link for the ammonia calculator.

Calculator

Make sure you set everything correctly. For volume, make sure you use the actual gallon amount of water in your tank, not how many gallons it will hold without sand/rocks/decor/etc. For example, my 5.5 only holds 4 gallons of water after everything gets put into it.

Put 4-5 in the box for desired level of ammonia and 10 for the % of solution if you got yours from Ace.

Thanks bev!

Back
Top Bottom