Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got an ammonia test - no not the strips! A real test kit!
Anyways I got it because a week ago we added about 7 fish into a 29 gallon tank and I was worried about the potential of an ammonia blast.
So here's the thing - last night I tested and it was right between .25 and .50 so I did about 40% water change and tested tonight and its SLIGHTLY lighter but remains between .25 and .50
Soooo what to do? I fed them less than I have been recently. Since the addition I have been feeding quite a bit more PLUS sinking food for the new cories.
So holding back some food - already did a pretty big water change...whats my next step??
Other parameters are stable:
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Very Soft
Very low alkalinity
And PH seems to have hiked up a bit....unsure why?? Usually my water shows up acidic?
I did add a little less PRIME than normal (realized i was using toooo much!!) with this PWC - could that affect it??
Thanks fish friends!!!

Prime wont affect ph so dont worry about that. I would start by testing your tap for ammonia first- you may have ammonia in the form of chloramine in your tap. I would also check your tap for nitrite & nitrate. I suspect your nitrate reading is coming from your tap as well. Let us know how your tap looks! :)

Okay I tested the tap again because I couldn't quite remember...
Nitrite & nitrate = 0
Alkalinity = super low
Super soft
And PH again much high than I remember around 7.5
It used to come up as nearly a 6.8!
Stupid strips...I really should invest in the liquid testers for the PH and Nitrites and Nitrates...
The ammonia (my biggest worry for now) is ever so slightly green so there must be a trace of ammonia in the tap but very little.
Now I'm really biting my nails!
Oh and by the way - the test kit is warning me of something being corrosive....should I wear gloves when I test?? Lol

Gloves aren't necessary unless you find your allergic. Just don't take a bath in the stuff or rub your eyes. Wash your hands after as precaution. And make sure any testing chemicals are well out the reach of kids & pets.

Investing in decent liquid tests are a good idea so you have an accurate idea of what your tank & tap are truly reading. Amazon usually has good deals if your looking to save some cash.

Back
Top Bottom