Ammonia after cycle complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just finished cycling my 50 gallon or so I thought. I went through the nitrite phase and once they were finally gone I noticed that the API master test kit is telling me I still have between .25 and .5 ppm of ammonia in my system. What gives?

I guess it could be a common thing. My one tank seems cycled but for the past 3 weeks has .25 ammonia.

What all do you have in your tanks?

Calypso77 said:
I guess it could be a common thing. My one tank seems cycled but for the past 3 weeks has .25 ammonia.

What all do you have in your tanks?

Maybe I'm over feeding. I have 2 Opaline Gouramis, 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 sunburst platys, 3 zebra danios, 1 common pleco and a blue crayfish

Calypso77 said:
How much are you feeding?

I try to feed every other day but I also set cucumber in for the pleco and cray and the other fish pick at it. My main three foods are flakes, bloodworms and cucumber

Feeding every other day shouldn't be too much. When you do feed them is it just a pinch? Do you leave the cucumber in long? That shouldn't be it either but just thought I'd ask.

Calypso77 said:
Feeding every other day shouldn't be too much. When you do feed them is it just a pinch? Do you leave the cucumber in long? That shouldn't be it either but just thought I'd ask.

I sometimes leave it in for over 12 hours but it pretty much gets eatin completely. The flakes I don't give much of

Ok I doubt it is any of that then. I guess as long as you keep up with water changes and testing it should be ok. That's kind of the boat I'm in.

Since no one has commented on this I will, the common pleco will need to be re-homed now or somewhere down the road. Common pleco's get to be over a foot long, even a 50gallon is to small for one (its growth could he stunted at some point) also pleco's have a high bio load so that could also be attributing to your ammonia levels, if you did a fish in cycle and as the pleco grows your BB has to have time I adjust.

Back
Top Bottom