Ammonia Concentration for Medium Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama Karoti

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am new to fish keeping. I have been doing a lot of research and am in the middle of a fishless cycle that is moving along nicely.

I have a 10 gallon with Aqua-Tech 5-10 filter, heater set to 82, bubble wand cranked, gravel substrate, Amazon Swords and Java Fern.

I plan to stock with 3 platies when the cycle is finished. I did the AQ Advisor and filtration at 182% with stocking at 68%.

I have been dosing ammonia back to 2 ppm because I read that much higher can slow down or damage the bacteria (seeded with TSS). My question is if 2ppm will be adequate for my stocking level or should I increase the amount?

Hi and welcome to AA!

2 ppm is probably fine for a 10 gal. The general guideline is 4 ppm but for a 10 gal you should be fine dosing to 2. Feel free to ask if you have more questions :)

Thanks for your response. We got two platy yesterday and they are doing great do far. Eating, active, and surprisingly curious. We ard having fun watching them. I will test the water parameters tomorrow and see how it's going.

Back
Top Bottom