Ammonia drops after 24 hours but not nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would test kh and ph of your tap water. As long as you do weekly pwc your tank water will stay close to your tap water. If your tap has low buffers (kh) then you will probably have to treat your water to keep your ph stable. You can buy an api kh test bottle by itself.

I'm going out tomorrow to get the kh test, my ph stays around 6.4 and my tank is now cycled. Would putting fish in it tomorrow be a bad idea or will they help raise the pH?

That seems low for most tap water. If your ph is stable then you are fine. Some people doing fishless cycles have ph problems towards the end. A 90% pwc usually solves the problem.

I would test your tap water ph and kh. They should be very close to your tank water

Well if I need to add something to raise my pH will it be ok to get fish today? I would much rather get the fish today while I'm out getting the kh test. Think it would be ok? Ill also do pwc and see how it goes. I know my tap water is around 8.2 pH

Last edited:
After water change it appears to be around 7.0 pH. Will fish help it? I have 2 fish from my other tank that I'll be moving when I can. Also if I am getting fish later today should I dose like 1 ppm of ammonia now or not worry about it?

Last edited:
Adding fish will not affect your ph. You really need to figure out why your tank ph is so much diff than tap. Personally I would do as large a pwc as possible and check your tank ph for a few days to make sure its stable. Keep dosing ammonia to keep your bb alive.

Havent tested it after being set out for 24 hours. Heres a pic of my tank

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 48
Called around to 6 different lfs' and only one place has a gH and kH test kit and its strips. Should I just get that one or go for the liquid, or is there something else I can do? Or should I just put in my bubble wall to see where it puts my pH at?

Last edited:
I must be doing something wrong...Just tested the water again for fun and it's reading 7.4 pH.

What should I do till like monday/tuesday when I can get a gH/kH test kit?

I would keep dosing your tank. Do water tests daily. If your ph is stable 3 or 4 days then I would add fish. Kh strip tests may not be real accurate but they're probably good enough. You just wanna know what ballpark you're in.

You dont have a water softener on your house do you?

I don't believe so, my apartment complex has like a private water company that does the water. Would the water company know the gH and kH? I could call them.

Was out and decided to just buy some strips for gH and kH. I ran a test on tap water that has been sitting out for about 8-9 hours and a test on it from the faucet. The picture is from the water sitting out, these are hard for me to read but seems like gH is close to 30 and the kH is around 80(Picture looks closer to 40 but took me a bit to take a picture and started to turn yellower). Didn't seem to change much between the water left out for 9 hours or out of the faucet. Also did a liquid pH test on the water sitting out and it's very different than straight from the faucet, looking to be between 6.8-7.2. So i'm not to sure what the gH and kH numbers mean for my tank but I've at least discovered that my pH isn't as far off as I thought.

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom