Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ammonia help!

Iím new to aquariums and trying to do everything right but theres a lot of info out there so if Iíve done something blatantly wrong please forgive me, it was unintentional.

I got a new tank about 5 weeks or so ago. Itís ammonia levels are crazy high. Like 4 ppm. I let it keep cycling hoping to lower the levels. After they wouldnít go down I have been doing 65-70% water changes once a week for two weeks. I have also added a lot of bacteria to help eat the ammonia as well as been adding ammonia neutralizer.

The water changes seemed to be helping and I had gotten it down to 0.25-0.5 ppm but I tested it again just now and weíre back to 4ppm. Itís 20 gallons and I only have a single tetra in there (the other few died before I realized how high the ammonia levels were) so obviously there arenít too many fish nor is the tank dirty.

Iíve been very careful not to overfeed because of the ammonia levels so itís not that. I tested the tap water and itís reading at 0.25-0.5 ppm. Which is higher than Iíd like but I donít see how thatíd get it to 4ppm.

My bf read that we could try aeration and get an aeration pump. Iím at wits end here. I just want my last tetra (now named Rambo due to his amazing resilience) to be happy. Iíd like his water to be healthy and to get him friends soon. Everything else is testing fine except for general hardness which is reading at 180. Could that be it? Any advice would be helpful.

Iíve only had a few solitary betta fish before this so this is my first foray into have a larger, multi fish tank and Iím feeling a bit lost here. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2020, 03:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have your other water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

A single tetra shouldn't be causing that much ammonia in a 20g. Are you sure there isnt a dead fish left in there? How long did it take to go from the low readings you had for ammonia upto 4ppm?

Tags
ammonia, first tank, new aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com