Ammonia in my tap water ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aharcara

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my used 20-gallon tank yesterday. I filled the tank and got the filter running. I've rinsed the glass rocks - not a fun task :) Then, I tested the water, so that I could have a baseline before adding any ammonia source. I got the following:
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0.5 (my husband thought it looked closer to 1.0)
NitrItes 0.0
NitrAtes 0.0

Then, I tested the water straight from the tap for Ammonia and got the same result. Should I be concerned that my Ammonia is not 0?

It's most likely the chloramines in the water reacting with the ammonia kit. What type of dechlorinator are you using? Try getting some tap water, dechlor it, and then test.

I'm using the stuff the previous owner gave me: NovAqua Conditioner and Fish Protector.

I agree, get a bottle of Prime. Ammonia in the tap is an indicator of your water source using Chloramines instead of Chlorine.

Thanks! I'll get some soon.

Can I add it to my water as is? I've already put the other stuff in it. Or, do I have to empty the tank and add new water with the Prime?

Just perform your next water change as normal using the new dechlorinator (Prime) instead. You don't need to do anything special to switch dechlorinators.

I'm still getting the same ammonia reading on my tap water after using the Prime.

It is changed to a safer ion of ammonia. It is not toxic to the fish and your bacterial filtration will quickly remove it. You could add a double dose of the Prime to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom